Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Fleece Fleece won't wick? ):

BlueZepher

Cavy Gazer
Hello! This is my first time trying fleece, and I'm having a really difficult time getting it to wick. The water just sits on top and beads and won't soak through at all.
I bought anti-pill fleece. I've washed it in hot water and dried it 5+ times (no fabric softener). I've used dish soap and white vinegar in the washing machine. I even let it soak overnight (~11 hours) in a mixture of hot water, dish soap, and vinegar.
Any advice? /:

Starthecavy123

Cavy Slave
Try warm water not hot that's what I put it on. When I first get my fleece I just wash it 3+ times then dry it once.

CavyMama

Cavy Slave
What are you using as the absorbent layer underneath? In order for it to wick, it needs somewhere for the moisture to go.

BlueZepher

Cavy Gazer
What are you using as the absorbent layer underneath? In order for it to wick, it needs somewhere for the moisture to go.

I bought a uhaul pad for underneath, and the water still just sits on top.

photo-4.jpg

daisy1cow

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
I have tons of fleece because I just can't pass up all the cute patterns. I have one in particular, same brand as the others, and it wont wick either. My daughter has one as well. So for whatever reason, maybe you got that one that wont wick!! Use it to make a cute tent cover, or corner fleece forest out of it and try again with a different one. I buy it, wash it on warm with a little soap 3 times in a row. I don't dry in between, just go down and start it over. By the last time I don't add any soap and just a touch of vinegar to make sure all the soap residue is out and throw in the dryer with an unscented dryer sheet.
Good luck, its frustrating but out of like 20, I only have that one that refuses to wick

Starthecavy123

Cavy Slave
@daisy1cow you use a dryer sheet? I thought you couldn't use dry sheets or softener. Does it still wick?

labgirl5

Cavy Slave
I had to wash my fleece 9 times and soak it in the bathtub a few hours before it began wicking.

daisy1cow

Cavy Slave
Yep, otherwise it is all full of static and my long hair piggies shock each other and their hair stands on end.
I've always used a dryer sheet after the initial washing of three times. I wash, wash, wash, dry with dryer sheet. Then with my weekly washing, I wash and dry with dryer sheet. Out of all 20 fleece that I have, I just have that one that never would wick.

pigger123

Cavy Slave
You can use dryer sheets as long as they're unscented and don't have any fabric softeners. Instead of dryer sheets, I use dryer balls which are wool balls that go in the dryer with the fleece and have basically the same function as a dryer sheet.

BlueZepher

Cavy Gazer
Yep, otherwise it is all full of static and my long hair piggies shock each other and their hair stands on end.

Piggies with static hair, that's so funny!

daisy1cow

Cavy Slave
And they hate it, they shocked each other and got so mad! My Peruvian has fine hair and it stood on end! My poor texel got so mad it made her twitch. Ive always use unscented sheets.
Are you having any luck with that piece of fleece or did you have to buy more. I shop Joannes or Hancock and can get it on sale super cheap sometimes like 3.00 a yard. They always have coupons too.
Don't be discouraged, try again with another piece and wash, wash, wash, little soap the first two washes, just vinegar the last, not a lot and dry with a dryer sheet. Worked all but one time for me :)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.