Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Question Introducing 3 males??

Ive found three males at a local shelter(ages 6m, 1yr, and 1.5yr) They are not bonded and 2 are pretty close in age. Is this a good idea? I REALLY don't want to have to clean out three cages. These are the only piggies for sale in my area. Should I keep looking for some females or is this a good idea?

Thanks
    Thanks
    582 Rec'd/536 Posts
    Mentioned
    124 Post(s)
    Quoted
    356 Post(s)
    You could ask the shelter if they've tried introducting them before. I would take 2 of them not 3 just because they are males and they can be really hard to bond. Plus if it does work you would need at least a 2x6 for all three. But bigger is always better especially with males. If these are your first then I would definitely keep looking for females. Males are more work and can smell because they scent mark alot. Females are easier especially if your a first time pig owner.

3. "Thank you, Starthecavy123, for this useful post," says:

Cavy Newbie
    Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Re: Introducing 3 males??

Quote Originally Posted by Starthecavy123 View Post
    You could ask the shelter if they've tried introducting them before. I would take 2 of them not 3 just because they are males and they can be really hard to bond. Plus if it does work you would need at least a 2x6 for all three. But bigger is always better especially with males. If these are your first then I would definitely keep looking for females. Males are more work and can smell because they scent mark alot. Females are easier especially if your a first time pig owner.
    Thank you! I have found some females 4 hrs away from my home!

User Tag List