Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Question Best veggies for piggies?

What (in your opinion) are the "best" vegetables for guinea pigs?

Based on nutritional content, affordability, simplicity (last long in the fridge, easy to cut up, etc.), availability (in most stores, not seasonal, etc.), palatability, etc.

Thanks
    Thanks
    582 Rec'd/536 Posts
    Mentioned
    124 Post(s)
    Quoted
    356 Post(s)

Re: Best veggies for piggies?

Well I have to be careful because Cinna has problems with to much calcium. So I have fed them red or green leaf lettuce, cucumber, cherry tomatoes, grapes, bell peppers celery, peas and on occasion strawberries and squash. I do tend to stick with red or green leaf lettuce and bell peppers and sometimes a cucumber. Although I do have a hard time finding things where I live for some reason. But I don't really what are the best for them as each one is different. Some things my boys are able to eat they just don't like. And if your pigs can't handle to much calcium than you have to find something less rich in calcium. Red or green leaf lettuce and bell peppers are great if you have that problem. I used to feed them cilantro but Cinna just couldn't handle it so they don't get to much of that.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanks
    43 Rec'd/42 Posts
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Quoted
    27 Post(s)

Lettuce and grass are probably the easiest. Most pigs will eat parsley and cilantro. There are some caveats to the cabbage group. Carrots and bell pepper are good treats.

Thanks
    Thanks
    98 Rec'd/58 Posts
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Quoted
    32 Post(s)

In addition to red and green leaf lettuce (which never lasts long enough to go bad, so no problem there) my boys love radicchio and Belgian endive--both of which keep quite well. However, I know those aren't available everywhere.

User Tag List