Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Vegetables Best veggies for piggies?

BlueZepher

Cavy Gazer
What (in your opinion) are the "best" vegetables for guinea pigs?

Based on nutritional content, affordability, simplicity (last long in the fridge, easy to cut up, etc.), availability (in most stores, not seasonal, etc.), palatability, etc.

Starthecavy123

Cavy Slave
Well I have to be careful because Cinna has problems with to much calcium. So I have fed them red or green leaf lettuce, cucumber, cherry tomatoes, grapes, bell peppers celery, peas and on occasion strawberries and squash. I do tend to stick with red or green leaf lettuce and bell peppers and sometimes a cucumber. Although I do have a hard time finding things where I live for some reason. But I don't really what are the best for them as each one is different. Some things my boys are able to eat they just don't like. And if your pigs can't handle to much calcium than you have to find something less rich in calcium. Red or green leaf lettuce and bell peppers are great if you have that problem. I used to feed them cilantro but Cinna just couldn't handle it so they don't get to much of that.

Bodhi

Cavy Slave
Lettuce and grass are probably the easiest. Most pigs will eat parsley and cilantro. There are some caveats to the cabbage group. Carrots and bell pepper are good treats.

ginipigsinspace

Cavy Slave
In addition to red and green leaf lettuce (which never lasts long enough to go bad, so no problem there) my boys love radicchio and Belgian endive--both of which keep quite well. However, I know those aren't available everywhere.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.