Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Fleece Advice for "converting" to fleece?

BlueZepher

Cavy Gazer
Hello!
I have two guinea pigs in a 4 grid by 2 grid (~56 inches x 27 inches) coroplast cage. I'm used to using carefresh bedding, but it's so expensive to keep the whole cage lined in carefresh. I've heard a lot about fleece-lined cages online, so I decided to try it a few months ago. I found some fleece around the house and lined the cage with it. I had a few problems with it, and was wondering how best to correct these?

I only had two half-sized pieces of fleece that I put together and clipped onto the cage, and the guinea pigs immediately thought this was a great new tunnel toy, and burrowed underneath the fleece and made a mess of pee/poop underneath there. (I can fix this obviously by buying a full length fleece! I can get a 60 x 72 inch and adjust it accordingly)
When it came time to clean, I had a hard time getting all the poops and hay and fur off the fleece. It all seemed to stick to the fleece like glue!
After a while, I got most of it off, and threw it into the washing machine/ dryer, but there was so much hay and fur left on the fleece, that it almost clogged my washing machine. I gave up and switched back to carefresh.

I'm looking for anti-pilling fleece, thanks to the advice of this website.
(The fleece I found: (broken link removed)).
I'm also going to buy a hay rack to keep the hay more neat (or so I hope!). And I'm going to buy some "litter boxes" for the corners and hope my piggies go in there.

Any other advice for getting the hay/poop/fur off the fleece before throwing it into the wash? Or for "converting" to fleece in general?

LucidCavies

Cavy Slave
litter boxes totally make a difference when you have them under a hay rack or when you use a litter box that is just full of hay. They help keep them cleaner longer. absorbent layers are a must. Everyone has their own preference as to what they use. I use old towels and change them out about every other day because they get smelly fast. I am going to order a couple of uhaul furniture pads that people claim do wonders as far as absorbing urine. And there are a few eople I have come across that swear by using some form of absorbent pellets under their fleece. But you really just need to play around with different things and see what works best for you and how often you clean your cage, and how your pigs respond to each.

As far as the burrowing is concerned, bricks are some peoples best friends. They help keep the piggies cool if they get hot and they hold down fleece very well.
but like you said. Fleece that fits your cage perfect really helps lol

The fleece looks good but you want to make sure you wick it.

And the poops and hay that are stubborn usually get out with a dust pan and hand broom or a handheld vacuum. I find that going out to my front lawn after sweeping up poops and giving the fleece a good shake usually helps a lot. I understand what you arre talking a bout with the washing machine. I had that problem in the beginning.

Keep some carefresh close, as it makes a great litter box filler :)

I hope I helped :)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.