Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Hello from my 3 piggles and Myself.

Sphearion

Cavy Gazer
So my girlfriend found a single "Female" at a pet shop, and decided it needed a home since it was all alone, I was okay with this, however i soon found out the "female" was in fact a big happy boar. This was after i built the first cage from the only materials I could find locally, wire shelves and a 4ft x 2ft piece of lumber covered with a plastic that is best described as a kitchen backsplash. She then went on a hunt for some "playmates" for "her" as at the time we thought she was a female, so we found a local person that had some babies that they needed homes, so as to not upset the family, i got 2 more females these were very much smaller, and live in the original wire cage, due to them being able to almost walk through the 3.6cm squares of the C&C Cage i made the next day... anyway fastforward to 3 days later and here is what you have, I have spent quite a bit of time on researching, and checking and looking around and if there is anything I have missed please let me know, currently they are eating well.. get daily (2 -3 times a day) handled and played with against their will by my 2 year old and her mom (supervised of course) as you can tell I have a very large love of animals and waste no time making sure they are as comfortable as possible.

the 2 girls from the same litter live in this cage
2014-07-24 21.24.16.jpg
One very fat, very happy slightly older man lives in this 2x4 C&C
2014-07-24 21.24.26.jpg

we also have the very much too small petshop cage but i don't think it will be getting any use anytime soon.

I know that after only a few days they are still adjusting, the male is very vocal and talks alot, the females only come out for drinks and food if the absolutely have to, about dusk at night, as my daughter is starting to doze off (7pm) i take all their hiding places away for about 1/2 hour so they are all 3 forced to eat, explore, romp, and run. I find this works well its also when my girlfriend gives them their nightly "pigNic" as she calls it, generally a couple slices of carrot, some lettuce, some greens from the garden, and a half of a spear of bell pepper, its only been 3 days, i know they can't have all this every day, we feed oxbow pellets and of course plenty of timothy hay.

MrsGuineaPig

Cavy Slave
Welcome to the forum! I love your cages! And good thing you moved the females right away! I can't tell in the picture but you only need to feed 1/8 of pellets a day! Hope you enjoy it here!

Sphearion

Cavy Gazer
I am aware of the 1/8cup requirement for pellets however, telling my girlfriend this is a different story, she just fills the little ceramic bowl up and it gets dumped and refilled every evening during "play time" when i take away all the hiding places, they never eat it all, and I will reminder her again that 1/8th cup is not alot and definately probably wont fill the cups. None of them eat very many pellets right now because its all so new to them, but I am sure that will change in the very near future. They all get a ton of attention, and we are already their slaves :)

kanojochan

Cavy Slave
Welcome to the forums! Your cages look great! Sounds like you have a nice variety of veggies going there :] But don't stop! They need those on a daily basis, along with the bottomless hay :]

Sphearion

Cavy Gazer
They will always have their veggies, they are quite overfed by my estimates and hay, I bought a full bale from a local farm supply (not a big chain) it smells much fresher smelling, and is much less "stemmy" than the hay we go from "Katy" when the first pig was purchased, its now in a big rubber made container actually under "ollie" the males cage, so they can have as much as they want, I will eventually get around to building them some hay racks, just havn't really figured out a design I like yet and its been a long 3 days of work and building stuff for my cavy masters anyway. We are "thinking" actually its more about saving, to get our male fixed a bit so he and the girls can co-habitate as i think that would be best for all of them, unless someone in st. louis wants add a very healthy male to their herd....

kanojochan

Cavy Slave
I have a bale of hay in my garage. Took up the entire back half of my car (I'm a city girl and had no idea how big a bale was)! I've had it for months and I'm not even halfway through it feeding my three piggies. My garage smells like hay, but I quite like the aroma :]

One of my piggies is a neutered male. He does quite well with the two females he lives with :]

Sphearion

Cavy Gazer
when i first introduced ollie to the females in a swimming pool he seemed to really like them, of course they are very young only about 1 month old. and didn't know how to be anything but submissive, but then ollie started marking around the pool and it was like a lightbulb went off in my head, wait, if they are both females this should not be happening so i picked ollie up and looked and pushed lightly on his lower abdomen and something poked out, i looked at my girlfriend and said "this is not a she, it is a he" after that they have been seperated every since, but I do take them close to his cage and when he gets a whiff of the girls he goes nuts, so I know he wants to live with them, in a few weeks he will go in for surgery most likely and then he can have the girls all he wants ;)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.