Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Conditions Swollen Testicle Neutered

Mallory Brown

Cavy Gazer
My pig was neutered two months ago. He's been active and eating and pooping and peeing normally, but today i held him up and noticed that his left side testes are is really really swollen and pinkish red and hot. I have him schedule for a vet appointment tomorrow because that's the only day the small exotic guinea pig doctor is in, but I am really worried for my piggie!

I have read and dealt with impaction before and I can say this is not impaction, but I can't figure out what it is!

If anyone could help me... that would be great.

Swollen Testicle NeuteredSwollen Testicle Neutered

pinky

Cavy Slave
I'd call your vet asap and not wait until tomorrow. It looks like it's infected and needs medical attention. If your vet isn't available, I'd find an emergency exotic vet to take him to. It looks really painful.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
It's either infection or internal bleeding. Given that it's red and hot, I'm betting infection, probably an abscess. I wouldn't wait until tomorrow -- I'd find an emergency vet who could at least give him antibiotics. But if your emergency vet doesn't normally treat guinea pigs, then go over the Guinea Lynx site and print the list of antibiotics that pigs CANNOT take and take it with you. I'd also take the regular exotic vet's phone number and see if the emergency vet will call and talk to them.

If you'll post the name of the city/state you're closest to, maybe we can help you find a vet who can see him today.

foggycreekcavy

Cavy Gazer
Ouch. Since it's been two months, it's probably an abscess. Abscessing at the neuter site is unfortunately pretty common with guinea pigs.

He'll need it removed entirely, or lanced and flushed several times a day, along with antibiotics.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.