Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • If you need a specific country prefix that isn't listed, please contact the staff.

UK Critical Care Equivelent

Princess_Piggie

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
So basically I'm wondering if anyone knows of an equivalent to Critical Care, but in the UK? It can be bought here but only one type (the finely ground one) and it's extremely expensive. I'd like to have something similar on hand just in case. I have a blender so could make a pellet mash, but as my girls are pellet free I'd like to avoid this since it could bring back some calcium issues.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Critical Care itself has a lot of calcium in it as well. It's one of the downsides of it.

Princess_Piggie

Cavy Slave
What a pain. Would it be a feasible idea to make a hay mash of sorts? Maybe with hay, water and some veggies?

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
It's certainly worth trying, although it would probably be easier to make a pellet mash with some veggies added.

Princess_Piggie

Cavy Slave
I'll do some experiments in the next few days with the hay, my blenders packed at the minute since I'm moving in two days. If it comes to it I'll order some Oxbow pellets since while the calcium level isn't ideal, it's lower than Burgess and I'll keep those on hand for if I ever need to make a mash. They're very expensive in the UK but I won't be buying them regularly so I don't mind a one off "investment".

lunarminx

Cavy Slave
The pellets are made out of hay, so the fine powder at the bottom should work. But remember it won't have the vitamins Critical care has or even a pellet mash. An that note, I have a liquid b complex and I have read that it will help stimulate their appetite but I ave no idea how much I would use. I have found that who's there loves his pellet mush with pumpkin, sweet potatoes failed so did bananas.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.