Thanks
    Thanks
    13 Rec'd/6 Posts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

Re: So you think my home made cage is ok

If I were you, I would recommend that you just buy a cage instead of going through all this trouble just to make one. There's obviously things you need to fix and if you just use a C&C cage or a store bought cage, you wouldn't have to make anything. Also, you can't potty train guinea pigs, they will pee and poop where they want. And a cage of that size would hold no more than two guinea pigs, and if you try to put 3-4 in there, there would be a huge lack of space for the piggies to roam and to play. You would need at least two cages. If you can't make the proper cage requirements and if there is no space in your room for the cages or guinea pigs, I would rethink getting pets altogether.

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    25 Rec'd/11 Posts
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)

@Flowering thanks, I have been thinking about raising it up off the floor. The base is made of medite wood and all it would need to be raised a length of 2x4 for legs and supports. The only problem is I would need to cut the taller side panels and I don't have an angle-grinder to cut the outer thick metal frames of them(inner bars can be cut with wire cutters)

@Piya and Buddy, where is the fun in just buying a cage. To me it isn't trouble to make one, I enjoy it. I know there are problems and I will find more problems when the guinea pigs actually go in. Why would I waste €70 on a c&c cage when I can make this one for little or nothing? I know guinea pigs can be toilet trained to a certain extent with a lot of work but never fully trained. I know people that have toilet trained guinea pigs fully and can let them run around the house with no fear of an accident. If you had read the whole thread you would know that when I said that I thought it could take 3-4 that was just a beginners mistake, plus I was only ever going to get 2 which I have already said. Please read the whole thread before making judgements like that! I am way past thinking about getting pets at this stage, I am 14 and have looked after more than 200 animals already!

Thanks
    Thanks
    17 Rec'd/15 Posts
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quoted
    12 Post(s)

Hi have you considered making the whole cage from wood. If the sides are wood you can just drill it altogether. This is a home made project I didClick image for larger version. 

Name:	20140802_094633.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	50.8 KB 
ID:	67700Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20140802_094633.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	50.8 KB 
ID:	67700

Although mine was a tempoary solution if I had the time to do it again I would have gone wider and mesh top cover.

Thanks
    Thanks
    17 Rec'd/15 Posts
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quoted
    12 Post(s)

This cage is 160cm by 60cm. It doesn't look very big but measures quite long I think 1.5 x 5 grids. I have a c and c cage now as wood was hard to clean plus i liked the storage under the cage.

Thanks
    Thanks
    17 Rec'd/15 Posts
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quoted
    12 Post(s)

Overall I prefer the c&c but that may be because I messed up the wood measurements however it cost almost nothing to do. Insdie of cageClick image for larger version. 

Name:	20140802_094626.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	112.4 KB 
ID:	67701

Thanks
    Thanks
    509 Rec'd/430 Posts
    Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Quoted
    245 Post(s)

One problem with wood cages is if you ever get a guinea pig with a fungal infection in it you would never be able to get the fungal spores out of the wood.

Thanks
    Thanks
    17 Rec'd/15 Posts
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quoted
    12 Post(s)

After trying wood out I do find plastic correx a lot easier to clean!

User Tag List