Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Veg*n Help on vegetarianism?

guineaboo

Cavy Slave
I've been thinking for awhile about becoming vegetarian. I used to be the biggest vegetarian wannabe ever. I recently saw the if slaughterhouses had glass walls and I can't even think about meat without feeling sick. I really do want to stop eating meat. But I've seen multiple ways how people do it. Should I start by doing gradually or go cold turkey? I'm 14, turning 15 in about 6-7 weeks. I'm a huge animal lover as well. The only thing is, I change my mind on things so easily that if I get discouraged or anything, I won't do it. My family is a huge meat loving family. I am too in all honesty. But I want to change this for myself. So which one should I do? Gradually or cold turkey? Also, what are some tips on stopping eating meat?

TheMuffinPiggy

Cavy Slave
I am also 14 years old, and I went pescetarian 3 months ago. I was in the same situation you are in!
I went gradually, but quickly at the same time. I kind of psyched myself out thinking about the torture the animal I was eating had to be put through, just so that I could enjoy a meal that would probably be forgotten about the next day.
You could try slowly taking out each type of meat.
There are many other ways of course, you just have to figure out what is best for you :)

ClemmyOddieIndy

Cavy Slave
I would recommend starting by picking at least one "type" of animals meat you can do without. Most people seem to have the easiest time giving up beef and pork, but find giving up chicken the hardest.

Remember animal products hide in many things you wouldn't expect. I considered myself a vegetarian for almost 20 years before I realized one of my favorite foods had gelatin in it. :sick:

guineaboo

Cavy Slave
Thank you! I appreciate your reply!
And oh, I'm so sorry =x

guineaboo

Cavy Slave
Thank you!
I appreciate your reply.

thechubbyfour

Cavy Slave
I'm 15 and have been a vegetarian for three years, and am the only one in my family.

It is easiest to gradually stop eating meat. What I did was I first stopped eating red meat and pork, then after a few weeks I stopped eating chicken, and then a few weeks later I stopped eating fish.

Be sure to research recipes such as salads that contain beans, quinoa, avocado as they have necessary protein. Protein shakes, smoothies, and bars are also great when you stop eating meat!

Grocery stores often sell food for specifically for vegetarians! These are great because they have good such as meatless chicken strips, veggie burgers, and meatless teriyaki chicken. My favorite brand is gardein! I've tried just about everything they sell and have loved all of it. I know how hard it can be being the only vegetarian in your family, but these make it so much easier!

Good luck!

starrgazerr

Cavy Slave
I did it cold turkey. the first step is telling your family regardless of them being meat lovers. i went vegetarian at 15 also and my dad is very conservative and wasn't happy about it...but there's nothing they can do about it, so they will comply. If it's burger night, just ask them for a black bean burger or a veggie burger. Try to always have a protein on the plate, so don't just eat veggies because you will feel lethargic. If it's chicken parm night ask for eggplant parm. If it's something like porkchop night you may have to get your own protein on the plate, but there are a lot of frozen flavored tofu or veggie meat replacements at whole foods and even regular grocery stores so it shouldn't be hard for you if you plan ahead! That way when your mom/dad is almost done cooking you can pop your "meat" in the microwave. Breakfast is easy because just leave out the bacon, and for lunch switch out a cold cut sandwich for a hommus sandwich, some yogurt and nuts, egg salad sandwich....etc. I hope this helped!

PiggyMommyWendy

Cavy Slave
We are transitioning to vegetarianism now, but we still eat wild caught fish once a week. (I used to be a vegan, but I can't imagine my daughter & hubby becoming vegan.) The toughest thing for me is making sure that my daughter (who is a very picky eater) will still eat what I cook and that she gets enough protein & nutrients. Happy Cow website (happycow.net) and app have helped me a lot. They also have a great forum. Good luck!

KCPiggies

Cavy Gazer
I went cold turkey, and I think it was much easier for me than if I took it slow. I didn't give myself the chance to change my mind or to continue eating certain meats, which may have led just to give up on vegetarianism altogether. Now, several years later, I rarely ever think about meat, and when I do I usually just have a veggie burger.

If you need any inspiration, imagine it's a cat or a dog (or guinea pig) inside those slaughterhouse walls, instead. The only difference between a dog and a cow is one is cuter and is illogically regarded as being more deserving than the other. If you wouldn't eat a cat or dog, why eat a cow or a pig? Why contribute to murder, just to eat something that tastes good? Just keep thinking stuff like that to encourage yourself. (I'm not criticizing you, just telling you things to think to yourself when you feel discouraged about vegetarianism.)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.