Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

C&C Alternatives What do i to keep my piggies warm!

LilliAndFelix

Cavy Calm
Cavy Gazer
Hi, my guinea pigs got thrown out by the landlords, we took him to the local shelter, who said she would keep him until we move on the condition that we took another with me.. This house is considerably colder than the last, and we cannot keep him indoors this time around.. HELP!

I am in Leeds and need idea now on how to build a cage, i need to buy a cheap hutch, and i need to have flooring, but i don't know if a C&C cage(I already have one) is best as i will be keeping them in a shed! For in winter so should I can keep them warm..

If anyone thinks i should use C&C Cage, pls give me some cheap ideas for insulation

Please could you help me find these things?? i really need help

Hutch(£40Max)
Shed(£25Max)
Floooring(anyone have any ideas?I want them to run free in the shed)Also how easy will that be to clean..?
A GreenHouse Heater(£10Max)
The other £15 is going to be spent on food and toys..

So i am thinking i will use my C&C cage spares(as i already have one) to make a wall across the front of the shed so the can't get out when i go in!:rolleyes: Then i will ise lino for the floor and a hammer it down to the sides,

I am on a Budget of £90 that is as far as my mum will stretch.. i have haggled for that much, we started at £50 for everything!

If anyone has any ideas.. pls do let me know! i need to pay as little as possible for as much space as possible!
xx Thanks for your help( in advance!) xx Lilli and her cute piggie Felix and the new one

P.S.

I also need help picking a new name

POLL!

1. Bubble

2.Dashy

3.Squeak

$. anyone got any other ideas??

pigger123

Cavy Slave
Why can't you keep them indoors? Even if you figure out how to make sure they stay warm, they will not be able to get as much attention if they're out in a shed. Piggies thrive on being in the central part of the home, where they can be surrounded by household activity. This forum advocates keeping pigs inside with the family, and doesn't support outdoor housing.

If you must keep them in a shed, linoleum floors should work as long as you have either bedding or fleece covering it. You could also just use a big sheet of coroplast, depending in how big the area is. Also make sure they have adequate ventilation and a good temperature (you also have to worry about them getting too hot).

LilliAndFelix

Cavy Calm
Cavy Gazer
well, i can't keep them indoors as the landlord won't let me, we are currently arguing about it, but i am thinking of keeping them in a small greenhouse instead, but that could always bring up the issue of them trying to walk through the glass... they have done it before.. but i think the lino is a good idea.. is it cheap?? if so where in the uk could i get it??

i was also thinking of getting a greenhouse heater, so i can adjust the temperature to the ideal temperature! i have found a cheap one.. but my mum has just told me i have to get the shed for free!!! any ideas??

pigger123

Cavy Slave
I would use an enclosure with solid sides, not glass. Guinea pigs should never be exposed to direct sunlight for very long, and they might feel like they're loose out in the open. I think you can usually get lino at a hardware store.

Please try really hard to get them inside! Tell your landlord that they can't possibly make a mess as they never touch the floor (nobody has to know about floor time ;)), and that they don't make loud noises to disturb people.

LilliAndFelix

Cavy Calm
Cavy Gazer
he is just not going tolet me, i really had to wangle to keep them in the garden, he was gonna make me get rid! i've almost lost my tennancy as it is..

thanks tho! i really needed your advice..

what are your thoughts on my new piggies name??

pigger123

Cavy Slave
I like Bubble, it's really cute. :)

HappyPiggies14

Cavy Slave
I'm new to being a cavy mommy, so I can't really say what would work best. However, having been a reader and member of this forum for a couple of months, I am inclined to discourage keeping the piggies outside. I understand you don't feel like there is another option, but I know that piggies do better when they are in an active part of the house, where people will be around them often. Additionally, the fact that they could catch a draft would make me uncomfortable. Are you sure you don't have any other options? I like the suggestion @pigger123 made...piggies are very quiet and not messy at all...

Please don't misunderstand. I am NOT judging you. It's obvious that you want what's best for your little loves.

Just wondered if there might be ANY other option...

Princess_Piggie

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
I'd really recommend not keeping your pigs outdoors in the UK. Our winters are freezing and it would cost a lot to make sure your pigs weren't cold, even in a shed.

I recently had landlady issues with my pigs. I had her come over to meet them, fed them some veggies, let her grandaughter have cuddles with them and then told her all about their self cleaning, their dry odourless droppings and all the other hygiene friendly facts about pigs. I also agreed to always leave my window open a crack so the air in the room remains fresh. You could also offer to pay for re-carpeting in the room your pigs would be in should your landlord have issues with it once your tenancy is over (which they won't if you put bin bags under a sheet for their floor time, it's what I do and it keeps the carpet immaculate)

elfje

Cavy Slave
The cold isnt the biggest problem. If you supply enough hay, avoid draft and make sure their water doesn't freeze, they should be ok.
Heat is a bigger issue. Even if it is not that warm, temperatures spike in small sheds and greenhouses.
Basicly, you need good air circulation ( but no draft) in summer, and good insulation in winter.
And make sure they are protected against other animals!

LilliAndFelix

Cavy Calm
Cavy Gazer
i have managed to persuade my landlord to let me keep them inside in the winter(because my mum threatened to send him the fine from the animal cruelty depertment!) so that is ok, but i have to keep them outside in the summer

there will be lots of hay and fleece and warm hidey holes as well as a greenhouse heater, i have spent all my pocket money on this!!! i have also spent all my birthday and christmas money aswell, and my mum gave me an extra £20 for the hutch!

LilliAndFelix

Cavy Calm
Cavy Gazer
P.S. does anyone know where to get cheap hay?? and food? i am spending an arm and a leg, and i'm in huge debt with my dad.. i had too get a few months worth of pocket money in advance.. thnk you for your help so far! i think i will call the newpie (yes newpie! as in new piggie!) Bubbles! i will post a photo next week! when i get him! Felix is my profile pic!

LilliAndFelix

Cavy Calm
Cavy Gazer
ooh! aswell how do you keep your guinea pigswatered on long journeys?? i am picking him up from nottingham and going home to leeds!

Princess_Piggie

Cavy Slave
Vegetables at regular intervals that are soaked in water are fine for long journeys. You can make a pit-stop to offer a bottle half way too.

https://www.pet-supermarket.co.uk/ I get my hay here, 10kg for £14.50 (just sort by price high - low, it's the second link)and I'm currently using something called Pillow-Wad (meadow hay) that was £2 odd and it's 2.25kg.

How large is the hutch? They're usually quite small and two males require a lot of space, particularly through puberty when they're more likely to fight.

LilliAndFelix

Cavy Calm
Cavy Gazer
my hutch is huge!! it has a 5 x 5 run attached to a 5 x 3 hutch! i love my piggies and would never let them live in a tiny hutch! i will post a pic when i get my second piggie!

Princess_Piggie

Cavy Slave
Is that 5 foot, grids, meters?

LilliAndFelix

Cavy Calm
Cavy Gazer
OMG!! it said the postage was fee then tried to charge me £7.90!

p.s. that is ft!

Princess_Piggie

Cavy Slave
Did you opt for the quick delivery? if you get the 6-8 day delivery it's free.

Are you sure it's ft? That would be 25 square foot for the run alone, and an extra 15 square foot for the hutch. I've never come across a hutch that large before, where did you get it from?

LilliAndFelix

Cavy Calm
Cavy Gazer
oh, miss type on the keyboard!it is 5ft by 3ft run and 4ft by 3ft cage! i got it from here!

https://www.play.com/Home-Garden/Home-Garden/4-/57156456/905644373/-/ListingDetails.html?_$ja=tsid%3a13315%7ccat%3a57156456%7cprd%3a57156456&$$ja=cgid%3a12255664617%7ctsid%3a48121%7ccid%3a233027697%7clid%3a73762958937%7cnw%3ag%7ccrid%3a38948185137%7crnd%3a11147248522496125219%7cdvc%3ac%7cadp%3a1o3%7cmt%3a%7cbku%3a1
they don't have it on there anymore, but is a big version of that..

LilliAndFelix

Cavy Calm
Cavy Gazer
they didn't give me that option..

LilliAndFelix

Cavy Calm
Cavy Gazer
also, where can i get a cheap ramp cover?? the ones on here are £13.40!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.