Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Rabbits Rabbits out of control.

GPMommy

Cavy Slave
Hi guys I really need advise... I got my two Flemish bunnies a while ago and was super happy!!! But now I don't know... I spend time talking a petting them everyday and trying to cut there nails is hell. Holding them is hard so I choose not to because they kick and scratch since there nails are long. Ginger snap is okay she's shy but knows when to back off. Buck the male is the problem he's jumping all over me and biting!! He split my lip by jumping on my face and bit my toe really hard. I'm kind of scared of him a bit now. I want to try and tame them better but Buck is getting really mean it seems what can I do? When he's fixed with he be better?

CavyMama

Cavy Slave
@Inle_Rabbit would be a good one to ask about this. She knows a whole lot more about rabbits than I do.

GPMommy

Cavy Slave
image.jpgimage.jpg

pinky

Cavy Slave
Rabbits should always be fixed. I've read that males calm down after being neutered. The shelters near my area won't even adopt out rabbits until they're fixed and that's for males and females. If you have them in the same room it's probably driving the male crazy.

GPMommy

Cavy Slave
Rabbits should always be fixed. I've read that males calm down after being neutered. The shelters near my area won't even adopt out rabbits until they're fixed and that's for males and females. If you have them in the same room it's probably driving the male crazy.

I never really thought of that. That does make sense! I have been alternating free range times with them! I should probably move him to a different room then!

Princess_Piggie

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
I believe @spy9doc is quite knowledgeable about rabbits. If I'm thinking of a completely different person then I'm sorry lol

Inle_Rabbit

Moderator / Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Gazer
You are going to have to train them. They cannot be wild like that and your buck cannot bite you. That is completely not OK. I would start by clapping loudly and telling them "No!" in a stern voice. You can also squeal loudly when bit. Never hit or otherwise harm a rabbit when its misbehaving as they are prey animals. Even these big bunnies!

As for nail clipping and grooming. Here is what I do, I'm sure there are other methods but this is what works the best for me. I have trained my rabbits in the past and am currently working on training Pepper in proper handling. I follow the guidelines for showmanship. No. I do not show and will not show but the guidelines for showmanship of rabbits help you and your rabbit with grooming. You start by feeling the body, checking the ears and tail. At this time the rabbit should be sitting down calmly allowing you to examine it. You will check the rabbit's teeth and eyes then position her to turn her over. Once flipped on their back and you examine her under side, feet pads and privet areas. If you need to now would be the time to trim the nails. With as large as your rabbits will become you may need a second person to do the trimming but if your rabbits become well trained they will almost just lay there on their backs on their own making it easy.

At first your rabbits are going to be very unhappy with this but as they get use to you and the routine of the grooming check they will calm down and be fine with it. It is best to do this grooming check on a table with a towel or carpet square. Practice every day. Practice more often while they are still smaller and easily maneuverable.

Another thing, since your rabbits are going to be so large you will want to start researching clicker training and lead training. You want your rabbits to listen to you. To go back to their cage when asked and to not destroy stuff and preferably to come when they are called at a bare minimum. When training I use carrot circles or small chunks of apple, sometimes cilantro.

@Gandalf @Rabbit_Lover @RodentCuddles @stray_hares may have some other ideas. I've been out of the rabbit loop for awhile and training is something I can not remember as much as I'd like to. After having 3 kids somethings get pushed from your brain!

My rabbit Pepper responds well to voice cues and treats though. I have trained her to come when she is called, to stop peeing on my couch and bed (so gross Pepper...), to go home when she is told and to be groomed like I described above. My family is moving in 6 weeks to a larger house and at that time I will be working more on leash training her. I'd like to teach her to do rabbit agility since she is such a darn good jumper and super fast!

Last edited:

GPMommy

Cavy Slave
Thank-you so much @Inle_Rabbit! I thought I was over exaggerating a bit (maybe a little: I was more upset then anything) it kind of feel like they are testing me. I'm going to buy a clicker and try all the ideas!

He did nip me pretty hard again this morning and I let out a squeal which stopped him in his tracks his ears twitched and he ran away :) I'm going to take more control of them from now on. I don't want to give them away at all! They are very good bunnies at times and I love them very much!

GPMommy

Cavy Slave
@Inle_Rabbit stupid question can I clicker train Buck not to jump on me whenever he wants?

Inle_Rabbit

Cavy Gazer
The male rabbit? Probably. Start working on it. I used the clap method on Pepper and the couch. She's just simply not allowed on it because she'll pee on it. I have no idea why she thinks that's a good spot to pee. Drives me nuts...

Princess_Piggie

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
Nope, sorry........I know almost nothing about rabbits.

Who am I thinking of then? :confused: I guess they must have a similar icon to you and that's how I got confused. Sorry for the mix up!

Gandalf

Cavy Slave
I've been absent from the forum for awhile. But Inle_rabbit has good advice as usual.
I'll just add that neutering and spaying should certainly help with the behavior. But training now will also help set the ground rules.

In fact, since we've moved, I've been too busy to spend usual time with the rabbits (free range in the house). I've noticed mine have become less receptive to their usual pettings since the pettings, unfortunately, have been lacking. I need to start working with them again on a daily basis...

Inle_Rabbit

Cavy Gazer
In fact, since we've moved, I've been too busy to spend usual time with the rabbits (free range in the house). I've noticed mine have become less receptive to their usual pettings since the pettings, unfortunately, have been lacking. I need to start working with them again on a daily basis...

Ditto that. We just got back from a 10 day vacation and Pepper seems to have forgotten everything I've been teaching her for the past 5 months. Rabbits are smart but also stubborn and insanity arrogant! :/

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.