Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Injury How long will it take to heal?

Rodent

Cavy Gazer
Hey! I just went to petsmart today to look at guinea pigs and I instantly fell in love with one and he is super healthy and young I even held him (so sweet!!) we found a bite from another pig on his ear but it is super tiny and does not look infected. They said they would keep him in their clinic and use antibiotics on him and they said they would call me when it is all healed. They said it would take about 2 weeks. Is it really going to take that long? I can't wait to just bring him home :(

lissie

Cavy Slave
Please don't buy guinea pigs from Petsmart, or any other pet stores.

There are many guinea pigs in rescues and shelters. In fact, there are 1,197 guinea pigs looking for homes on Petfinder.

Look on petfinder.com and shelters in your area.

HugglesBubble

Cavy Slave
Ditto what Lissie said. Welcome to the forum though :) if it's not infected, I would keep a look on it, maybe wipe it with a warm towel every day, or in the morning and evening just in case. I don't see why you would need to keep him there at the clinic.. Best of luck!
*it is true though, best to adopt, not shop!*

lissie

Cavy Slave
@HugglesBubble sounds like the OP didn't buy this pig yet. The shop is keeping him until the ear heals.

HugglesBubble

Cavy Slave
Oh I see. I assumed that ' call me when he's healed' and " can't wait to bring him home" ment they owned and he's in care. Well, all the same I dont see why she can't keep the ear cleaned her/himself.

Soecara

Cavy Slave
Honestly if the injury wasn't infected there is absolutely no reason for him to even be on antibiotics. Any antibiotic is very harsh on a guinea pigs system and should never be given unless there is a good reason to suspect an infection. I sure hope the vet they have is cavy savvy as there are quite a few common antibiotics that can kill a guinea pig.

If the bite is on the edge of the ear then the ear will never return entirely to normal shape, the edge will retain a tattered edge where the injury occurred like the one shown in the picture below. It is common for guinea pigs to have tattered ears after they have been kept in cramped conditions.

8wmuk9.jpg

Rodent

Cavy Gazer
Sorry I had no choice but to buy from a pet store because I don't have any shelters close by, but I made sure to stay there for a while and check him out. Thank you guys for all the replies. I forgot to mention the bite on his ear was just a little dot and not that serious.

lissie

Cavy Slave
If you post your general location, we can help you find a rescued pig.

Did you look on petfinder.com? If you type in your zip code, it will locate guinea pigs near you.

Princess_Piggie

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
You can also look on guinea pig zone, or Craigslist. Where there's a pet store, there's irresponsible people trying to "get rid" of their pigs because they didn't research the required care, effort and financial responsibilities involved.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.