Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Nails/Nail Trimming Coconut Oil on curly piggy nails

PopePopsicleIV

Cavy Slave
I've read in a few places that Coconut oil works for helping those yucky curly guinea pig nails, has anyone else experienced this? And if you use it, how often do you put it on your pigs feet and nails?

CavySpirit

Administrator
Staff member
Cavy Slave
I don't have experience using it for that, but I would rub in some VCO Coconut Oil morning and evening and even a midday rub if you can do it. It can only help. Almost all topical CO treatments are at least twice a day with more generally considered better. Only so much will initially be absorbed. You want to be a bit generous, wipe most excess off, but leave a little for a little further absorption.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I don't think coconut oil will do anything for them. Just trim them as short as you can each time without getting into the quick, and trim the frequently. As they get shorter, the twisting won't be as bad.

CavySpirit

Administrator
Staff member
Cavy Slave
I don't think coconut oil will do anything for them. Just trim them as short as you can each time without getting into the quick, and trim the frequently. As they get shorter, the twisting won't be as bad.

I wouldn't dismiss it out of hand. VCO CO is known to improve a variety of related issues. Even just helping to lock in the moisture in the nails themselves, which it most definitely would do, could be a benefit (less dry, so perhaps the curling might be less pronounced?). But, it also contains vitamin E, vitamin C, some choline, is anti-viral, anti-fungal etc and would be good for foot health in general.

You could try an experiment if you are so inclined. Do one and not the other and see how it goes. Would be interesting. Take photos if you do, now and on-going.

But for sure, you should be keeping them trimmed on a regular basis to prevent them from getting long enough to curl, as Billie suggests. The quick recedes more that way, too.

PopePopsicleIV

Cavy Slave
Yeah I clip them regularly and I've got down how the quicks work, I pay very close attention to his nails because they're so curly. I just worry about how twisty they are, they bend his toes and it really looks uncomfortable and I'd read in a couple places that coconut oil worked for curly nails but it didn't really say how or what it did? Since I know it's not going to hurt him at all because he doesn't seem to be allergic or anything. So I'm going to keep experimenting and trying to put it on at least once a day maybe? And I'll try to take Pictures of progress to report back and such :]

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.