Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Sad Just dropped off guinea pigs for boarding

CavyEngineer

Cavy Slave
My son and I just dropped off Hocus and Pocus at the exotic vet for boarding. We'll pick them up on Saturday. They looked so frightened/abandoned.
Will they forgive me?:sad:

Princess_Piggie

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
I think so. I had do leave my old boars for two weeks when I went on holiday when I was younger, and they were just the same as usual when I got back. Of course all pigs are different, but I think once they've been back with you a while and settled in again things should be just fine :)

Artista

Cavy Slave
Being they are prey animals to begin with and now in a foreign environment, it's natural for gps to look scared. Hopefully they have ample room as that will help. When I boarded Mooshy the first time with my exotic vet, it was at the hospital and the cage looked smaller than a pet store cage and it was metal. Side by side were cages, looked like a prison and I felt bad. I did take her igloo, sleep sack, and a couple of her toys along with her food and pre-prepared veggie mix and hay and bowls so they just had to provide the water. I wanted her to have her stuff that she's scented, which is funny because there is no competition! lol. Second time around I found a guinea pig rescue just over an hour away called Cavy House where they rescue and offer boarding. I found them to be awesome. Mooshy got her own 2 x 3 c & c cage! I took her igloo, sleep sack, tunnel for the home comforts and they provided KMS (or Oxbow if you prefer) pellets and timothy hay. Sooooooooooooo much better than the vet's office. Mooshy looked scared at the vet's office cage but she didn't look at me here and started exploring! She didn't seem excited to see me after a week but at the vet's office, she was sooooooooo happy to see me and get out. So for me she did "forgive" me for the vet's office but it was almost like I'm comfy, I don't want to leave at the rescue! lol

Either way, they'll be fine. After all, there's nowhere like home. They may start out skittish but that will go away with time. You can always give them their favorite treat that they don't often get as a welcome home present to help them settle in.

CavyEngineer

Cavy Slave
As we were getting ready to leave, one of the technicians recognized me and said we went to high school together. To all you "kids," that was 20 years ago and she remembered me! I feel better that someone who knows me can check on them. The cage set up was an elevated dog kennel with 3 solid walls. I did leave 2 willow tunnels for hiding and chewing. I'm so glad they have each other. I grabbed a business card on the way out so we can call.

Rywen

Cavy Slave
When I boarded my piggies at the vet a couple of weeks ago I emailed every other day and asked for updates. It was clear they were happy to be home and in their 2x4 cage. But I know they had lots of attention boarding at the vet. They have one vet tech called the guinea pig whisperer, lol. She weighed them and gave them their meds, and played with them every day.

Artista

Cavy Slave
When I boarded my piggies at the vet a couple of weeks ago I emailed every other day and asked for updates. It was clear they were happy to be home and in their 2x4 cage. But I know they had lots of attention boarding at the vet. They have one vet tech called the guinea pig whisperer, lol. She weighed them and gave them their meds, and played with them every day.
That's cool. My exotic vet place only checked on the animals twice a day. That was it. No play time. Never again. I'd far rather have Moosh in a nice loving home in a real cage than a small one that looks like a prison with no attention other than to feed and check on.

Rywen

Cavy Slave
Next time they are getting a pigsitter that comes to my house, the only reason I boarded them at the vet was they were sick and needed medications twice a day.

elf222

Cavy Slave
Aw, they will forgive you for sure. I have left Elvis twice so far -- each time for 5 to 7 days. In my case I left him at home and had a neighbor come over to feed/play everyday -- actually 2x/day. He did seem a bit off when I returned after the first trip but after a few days he was totally back to the regular routine. When we returned after the second trip he popcorned when we got home and seemed back to the routine after one day. I am sure it is my own craziness but I feel like maybe now he understands that I leave but I will always eventually return. I hope so bc I am currently on a 14 day trip! Good luck!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.