Cavy Slave
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quoted
    16 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    8 Rec'd/6 Posts

Exclamation Symptoms of an Ear Infection?

My guinea pig had a slight head tilt, and her balance is also a little off, so I'm worried she might have an ear infection, but I'm not positive of all the symptoms of an ear infection because she's eating and acting normally besides the slight tilt and the balance. Is that enough to have to bring her to the vet? Anyone know how much money it is for the antibiotics for an ear infection, too? PLEASE help!

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner Princess_Piggie's Avatar
    Mentioned
    281 Post(s)
    Quoted
    538 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    1,014 Rec'd/747 Posts

Re: Symptoms of an Ear Infection?

A head tilt is nearly always an ear infection. The balance issue just reassures the ear infection further. I'd take her in ASAP. Antibiotics won't be cheap.

She's not acting sick because guinea pigs are prey animals that try their hardest to seem healthy (and therefore not vulnerable to predators).

Cavy Slave
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quoted
    16 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    8 Rec'd/6 Posts

it's really that severe? :(

Mentioned
    393 Post(s)
    Quoted
    773 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    1,243 Rec'd/995 Posts

Yes. If you don't get treatment right away, her head may get worse, and stay that way. Also the infection could spread to other parts and make her very, very sick.

Pigs with permanent head tilts often have problems throughout their lives. It could be because the normal drainage is messed up? I've had a couple of head tilt pigs who developed eye problems, and have one right now prone to abscessing behind the ear.

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner Princess_Piggie's Avatar
    Mentioned
    281 Post(s)
    Quoted
    538 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    1,014 Rec'd/747 Posts

A good rule of thumb to go by is when you see symptoms of something, assume that it's been around for maybe a week before then, and your pig has been hiding it. I go by that and when I noticed a few symptoms in one of my girls, it was straight to the vets. Turns out she has walking dandruff (it's a type of parasite) and the vet said in all her years as a vet she's never seen it in this early a stage and that treatment should be easier because of that.

The longer a problem goes on, the worse it gets, the more intense it gets, the more your pig suffers, and furthermore, the worse it gets the more treatment it may need.

User Tag List