Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

New cavy owner

JoannaBanana

Cavy Slave
Hi I am a new cavy owner. I have owned my black guinea pig Darwin for 3 months now and so far he's proven to be a handful. I started him out in a glass aquarium but them built him a 5'x3' c&c cage. I use fleece as bedding and he has a hay rack and a few hideys and toys. He knows feeding time is in the morning and always wheels at me until he gets food. I want to get another male to put in the cage with him but I am so afraid they won't get along!!!! Does anyone have any advice for me as far as care, toys, or introductions to new cavies???

chrissypfeil

Cavy Gazer
I only have one Guinea pig, so I'm not quite sure about introductions!
For toys, my Guinea pig LOVES wooden blocks! I got these cute ones from Walmart and they are Monster's University shaped. You can use bird and cat toys, too.
For care, be sure that they get vitamin C because they cannot manufacture their own. Offer a varied diet of fruits and vegetables, and be sure to feed him timothy hay!

JoannaBanana

Cavy Slave
I only have one Guinea pig, so I'm not quite sure about introductions!
For toys, my Guinea pig LOVES wooden blocks! I got these cute ones from Walmart and they are Monster's University shaped. You can use bird and cat toys, too.
For care, be sure that they get vitamin C because they cannot manufacture their own. Offer a varied diet of fruits and vegetables, and be sure to feed him timothy hay!

I do feed him Timothy hay :) and he gets apples carrots and spinach almost every day. I'm worried about getting chew block because I'm scared the type of wood could be harmful. What should I look for???

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Mine won't chew any kind of wooden block. If I were you, I'd just buy one and see if he pays any attention to it at all.

Please don't feed him spinach every day. It's got way too much calcium and oxalic acid in it to be fed daily. His daily greens should be red or green leaf lettuce, with only occasional small feedings of spinach or kale.

JoannaBanana

Cavy Slave
Mine won't chew any kind of wooden block. If I were you, I'd just buy one and see if he pays any attention to it at all.

Please don't feed him spinach every day. It's got way too much calcium and oxalic acid in it to be fed daily. His daily greens should be red or green leaf lettuce, with only occasional small feedings of spinach or kale.

okay!! I'll lessen the spinach. Thanks for the advice

Rywen

Cavy Slave
I buy living world nibbles chew toys, I put one in the cage this morning and here's how it looked 10 hours later
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1403754995.480445.jpg

Rywen

Cavy Slave
No guarantees of course, all piggies are different. I got them on Amazon.com (it's a multi pack of brightly colored veggie and fruit shapes, that one was a pineapple, lol).

maddy harper

Cavy Slave
hello and welcome to the forums
:D

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.