Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Brands Is this safe?

GuineaPigParty

Cavy Slave
One of my friends showed me this product for small animals. I was going to try to use it but I just wanted to know if it is safe.

(broken link removed)

Princess_Piggie

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
I'm not sure how safe it is, but a mix of white vinegar and water is the safest, most effective way to clean cages/litter trays and remove smell.

guineapigcraz27

Cavy Slave
I don't know know because it doesn't show the ingredients, but you can just use a 50/50 mix of vinegar and water like @Princess_Piggie said as that is what I use to clean the cage.

HollyH8

Cavy Slave
I'm not sure if it's safe just because I'm not sure what's in it. I can't imagine it would work though since it works internally!? If you were to use it I would make sure not to add it to the water in case it has a bad taste and then your piggies won't drink any and get dehydrated.

Artista

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
Just use the vinegar and water mix. Very cheap, works great, and no worries about which ingredient could be bad.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Heavens! Don't use that! Guinea pigs have very delicate digestive systems anyway, and anything you put in their food and drink to deodorize their cage is apt to have just the reverse effect and you'll wind up with diarrhea all over the place.

Besides, they don't even list the ingredients, which is illegal in the first place. In the second place, you have NO idea what you're giving them.

Just keep the cage clean. That'll take care of the odor.

GuineaPigParty

Cavy Slave
41ntPSnHnhL.jpg
41%2BdTxiuL5L.jpg

71vNux3CIIL._SL1500_.jpg

The link I had went to Amazon.... I have no Idea why it changed but here are the photo's of it's ingredients etc.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I wouldn't feed it if you gave it to me. Dextrose is a form of sugar, which guinea pigs shouldn't have. I don't know what's in button mushroom extract, but guinea pigs shouldn't be fed mushrooms at all.

You really shouldn't try to control odor by feeding your guinea pigs anything. Work on it from the other end -- the kind of bedding you use, how often you change the cage, keeping the hay picked up, etc. Otherwise, you risk making your guinea pigs ill.

lunarminx

Cavy Slave
I have an old maine coon that that even the vet says has the worse smelling poo ever. I used that for a few months and it made a huge difference, so I tried it in the pigs water bottles, they wouldn't touch the water at all. I was very lucky that I wet down their vegs so they had some kind of water. After two days I just used it for the cat.

melynda

Cavy Slave
Interesting, @lunarminx. I have a ten year old cat that's at least part Maine coon and his poo is repugnant. It could gag a maggot! Maybe I'll try this stuff on him.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.