Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

New cavy owner (w/pics!)

NewCavyMomma

Cavy Slave
Just wanted to introduce myself!

I'm Jess - I'm a full time nursing student and mother of 2 humans, 3 guinea pigs, 1 cat & 1 dog!

I've had my first guinea pig for about a month (Richard - he's aprox. 4 months old - he's white w/ orange/black)
I recently adopted 2 more piggies
Elliot (aprox. 8-9 months old - he's grey/white)
And Roofus (approx. 4 months old - black/white)

10485530_10203287193733998_2566074857925453735_n.jpg
on the left- they're enjoying their cage-food
on the right top - my 3 boys cuddling after a bath
and the right bottom - Elliot enjoying cuddles w/ my fiance

Loving having the guinea pigs! Still have a lot to learn!...

PiggieWigglies

Cavy Slave
Hi and welcome! What type of cage are your pigs in? If its a Midwest, the size might cause some squabbles as they get older.

NewCavyMomma

Cavy Slave
Hi and welcome! What type of cage are your pigs in? If its a Midwest, the size might cause some squabbles as they get older.

Thank you! It is - I just was told the same in a post I tagged about fighting......... :sad:

The 2 I got from the rescue - the owner "assured me" that the cage would be good for 3 piggies.... So I brought home 2 piggies already paired to add to my single.................... and I'm now finding out it's not adequate! I'm a little frustrated - she has 14+ yrs of experience I figured I could trust her judgement!
Looking into expansion options at the moment! (possibly adding another midwest to it or adding a 2nd level?)...

Rywen

Cavy Slave
Hello and welcome to the forum! Your boys look like they are having fun.

Icarus_Hermes

Cavy Slave
I love the pic of the three of them cuddling!!!

Don't feel too frustrated about the rescue owner giving bad advice. Two different exotic vets questioned me about having two boars living together, and I convinced myself that they were right and I was wrong about boars as cagemates after my boys had a very rough re-introduction post surgery. I built them a bigger cage to work out their issues and literally from the first minute I put in them in their new home, all tension was erased. I still trust one of the vets on anything medically, but on behavior and such, you have to be a piggie mama to understand, imo.

MrsGuineaPig

Cavy Slave
(possibly adding another midwest to it or adding a 2nd level?)...
I would add another Midwest to it instead of the 2nd level because if they're fighting and there's only one ramp, they block each other off which could be worse! And plus you would have more room with another cage than a 2nd level, and it will be easier to clean too!

maddy harper

Cavy Slave
hello and welcome to the forums :D

PiggieWigglies

Cavy Slave
Thank you! It is - I just was told the same in a post I tagged about fighting......... :sad:

The 2 I got from the rescue - the owner "assured me" that the cage would be good for 3 piggies.... So I brought home 2 piggies already paired to add to my single.................... and I'm now finding out it's not adequate! I'm a little frustrated - she has 14+ yrs of experience I figured I could trust her judgement!
Looking into expansion options at the moment! (possibly adding another midwest to it or adding a 2nd level?)...
You might wanna either add a 2nd midwest or try a C&C cage. Levels or lofts don't count as square footage when measuring the cage. Most guinea pigs run away when in trouble, not up a ramp. Usually lofts are small so if a pig ran up there in trouble, he might get stuck up there if the other pig blocked the exit.

NewCavyMomma

Cavy Slave
Thanks for all of the welcomes and tips!
I would hate to get a new C&C because I just bought the Midwest not too long ago
However I think that may be what I'll do!... I would add on w/ another Midwest but my Midwest is very flimsy- and not sturdy at all.... I've read the C&C are very sturdy and strong
And the Midwest are not cat proof! my cat can fir her paw right through - so she hasn't been allowed in my room (where the piggies are) .... the C&C seems like the openings may be better w/ a cat

Chloe_s_mom

Cavy Slave
I've posted on your other thread, just thought that I'd say that my cat can fit his paw thru the c&c cage too, as the grids are approx. 1 inch squares, I believe? But, I looooooooooove the flexibility that the c&c cages afford, and being able to build to suit your space/piggies personalities. I've always made lids for my c&c cage, which does use up more grids (and zip ties ha ha!) but I've ended up with something that could probably withstand an adult falling onto the cage, so a cat or two would be fine. So tips for cats would be to build the cage on a raised surface, without a spot for the cat to perch or sit. Also, if you have 6 inch coro edging around the cage, it will not only keep poops in, but also provide a bit of protection to the piggies. If that doesn't work, perhaps a roll of screening around the outside of the cage? I used some to keep the bedding of the kitchen from flying out, and it also made the girls feel less vulnerable (less likely to bolt). If I can get pics to load, I'll post some of my c&c cage creations (I keep remodeling) - I'm a newbie too :)

maddy harper

Cavy Slave
hello and welcome

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.