Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

C&C Questions about Hay Rack

CudsGwennyPash

Cavy Slave
I have always wanted to order things from the store on here, however I have always been put off by the high shipping cost. However, I am really interested in the large hay racks you have listed. I would get a pop however, my girls love to chew fabric if it is exposed like that so it won't work for me. Anyways, I found the hay rack and that would be perfect for my girls. I do have some questions though. How big are the spacings? I have never liked hay racks because the spacings were way to thin for my girls to stick their noses into and pick what they wanted. When I ordered my cubes a year and a half ago, I was very worried that the spacing would be too small and I wouldn't be able to use them as a hay rack. However it turned out though, that 1.5inches was perfect for my girls, so that is what I am looking for. Are the spacing 1.5inches, or are they smaller? Also shipping is half of the total cost of my order, which I would never pay, however I am in love with these hay racks, so I kind of feel like it is worth it. So my question is, how long is it going to take to get here, if I am going to spend $17 on shipping then it better get here in a day or two, because I get free shipping on all my order every where else I order online and it gets here in 2 days. My final question is, how much hay does it hold... one good sized handful, two handfuls...?

Guineapigpro

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
Hi there! I don't work with the Guinea pig Cages Store, but I do have an idea for a hay rack for you! You can bend the grids in half, leaving the open side on top. Then, attach with the hay rack cable ties or some other attaching mechanism. Of course, there are more open spaces and there could be a chance for more hay falling out or being pulled out, but it is much cheaper!

CudsGwennyPash

Cavy Slave
Hi there! I don't work with the Guinea pig Cages Store, but I do have an idea for a hay rack for you! You can bend the grids in half, leaving the open side on top. Then, attach with the hay rack cable ties or some other attaching mechanism. Of course, there are more open spaces and there could be a chance for more hay falling out or being pulled out, but it is much cheaper!

I do like that idea because the opertunity for more hay to come out is what I am looking for... my girls are super picky and love to go through the hay bin and find their favorite before they eat anything else :) I have a problem with that though. I am super ocd and prefer the grids to be bent the same exact ways which is impossible for me :( I made two of them and couldn't use them in the cage, cause I could get them to be the exact same shape. Not sure if you have ocd or anything but I was sitting their staring at the hay racks that I had just spent forever making out of coroplast and grids only to find out that I could use them -_-. I was looking for a similar item on the market, but I can't find anything. I spent a couple hours looking at target and bbb, etc, and found nothing. If you find something please let me know. That is why I am seriously thinking of going this route, it is a lot more expensive, however I just can't seem to find anything.

PigglyWiggly29

Cavy Gazer
Hay racks are a good idea (keep hay cleaner and cage cleaner). The only problem with the bent grid is that piggies can try and climb into the hay rack and get stuck or injure themselves.

So alot of people bend the grid but place it vertically (ex: https://www.guineapigcages.com/photos/data/520/medium/hay_rack1.JPG)
That way pigs dont hurt themselves.

Here is also a great video that explains how to make them and the purpose of them:

Another idea for hay racks is fabric ones:
https://media-cache-ec0.pinimg.com/736x/51/ec/32/51ec32372cfce246989e6f8c8b518896.jpg

or you could make a box our of an old storage bin or chloroplast to keep the hay in. It also works well at keeping the cage clean because most pigs to their business near their hay.

https://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=20712&d=1329060495&thumb=1

Last edited:
Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.