Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

General Traveling with my piggy.

PiggieLoveBug

Cavy Slave
I have looked up a lot of information on traveling with your piggy but I'm still not quiet sure if it is safe, or even a good idea to do so. I am thinking of moving to my boyfriend's apartment, but the thing is that he lives about 8+ hours from where I currently live. I only have one piggy, she would be traveling with my dog (not in the same cage/carrier of course). She hasn't traveled much, so I know that I would have to go at it slowly. Any information given is appreciated. :)

Also, I drive a 2001 Pontiac Aztec.

animalmadlover

Cavy Slave
I took my two girls away on holiday with me as I just couldn't leave them behind at all. I personally think that a small dark carry case is best because then they can huddle up in the dark and feel secure. At first they were nervous, then they were fine with it. My carry case didn't have anywhere to clip the water bottle onto so I opened up the case and offered them a drink every so often. Soon they were talking away and eating food from my hands.
So basically yes it is fine to travel with your guinea pig. Bring fresh veggies with you and offer to your guinea pig later on, I doubt that for the first half hour or so she will want to eat or drink but she will become used to it.
Bring with you
fresh newspaper or towels
a small bag crammed full of hay
fresh veggies
water bottle
when you stop you can change the bedding and put it in a bag reserved for waste. You could even stop off to buy some fresh food.
I had a playpen which I set up when we stopped and the guinea pigs could get some fresh air and streatch their legs. Just don't leave her in the car by herself if it is really warm.
We often stopped to go for a walk along the way and I brought the carry case, we got photos of the guinea pigs at fox glacier, the tourists couldn't believe it, and I got plenty of comments "what you got there!"
I had never actually traveled with my guinea pigs before except to the vet but they were fine.
Good luck with the move :)
Oh and by the way, we traveled even longer then eight hours, but with stops at holiday houses, between the distances, for the night.

pigger123

Cavy Slave
Remember to make sure to keep it cool for them. Guinea pigs are uncomfortable at above 80*F and can get heatstroke and die at temps above 85*F. I wouldn't ever advise leaving them in a car, even if doesn't seem too warm. Also, don't let them out on any grass at rest stops and such. You don't want them running around on ground with grass that might use pesticides, has dog waste on it, etc.

Bodhi

Cavy Slave
I agree with using a dark carrier if you have one, but also make sure it has enough ventilation. I would bring a stack of towels and change them every couple of hours.

PiggieLoveBug

Cavy Slave
Thanks so much for the information! I'll be sure to find a nice carrier for her.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.