Thanks
    Thanks
    136 Rec'd/81 Posts
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Quoted
    56 Post(s)

Guinea Pig genetics

So I've been curious for a while....where do the different breeds come from? For example, to have an aby do both parents have to be aby? Or is there a dominanat gene? a recessive gene? I am curious because I am a science geek, hence my user name MLT2007 (medical lab technician). I think genetics are so interesting. NO, I am NOT breeding any pigs. Mine are all females. I'd be waiting a heck of a long time for something to happen if I was! What about peruvians? The hairless ones? All fellow science geeks please respond!!

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner pinky's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks
    2,491 Rec'd/1,959 Posts
    Mentioned
    684 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1563 Post(s)

Re: Guinea Pig genetics

There are dominant and recessive genes and mutations. The teddy gene resulted from a mutation. Peruvians and abbies have similar genes although Peruvians have a long haired gene tossed in and their rosettes have to be in certain spots. As interesting as it is, adoption is always best. Breeding only results in a lot of unwanted guinea pigs and loss of life in the mothers.

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    136 Rec'd/81 Posts
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Quoted
    56 Post(s)

I have no interest whatsoever in breeding, as stated before. I am simply interested in "how things work."

Thanks
    Thanks
    7,279 Rec'd/5,799 Posts
    Mentioned
    2035 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3845 Post(s)

I have two sows who are littermates. One is short-haired, with slightly longer skirts than normal, and the other obviously has some abby and peruvian in her -- wildly wonky hair when it's not trimmed.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanks
    90 Rec'd/79 Posts
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Quoted
    86 Post(s)

I'm also curious about this. My guinea pig that I adopted from a shelter is an aby, but her hair seems to be shorter and softer than some abys I have met in the past. Her three babies (who she was pregnant with when I got her) were all shorthairs, two with red eyes and one with blue (momma has grey eyes). Also, one of the babies has cream/tan colored fur, which I don't think is present on either of the parents (I can only guess her father was the solid brown shorthair pig I saw with my pig on Petfinder). So, I think tan fur must be recessive.

Thanks
    Thanks
    166 Rec'd/116 Posts
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Quoted
    66 Post(s)

So, I've got two anecdotes to tell :P My first pair of pigs (two girls, one ended up being a boy and well...the rest is history)
    Male: Red fur, few wisps of white in his crest.
    Female: Black and Cream

Baby 1: Black with a red snip on his nose.
    Baby 2: Black and Cream
    Baby 3: ...cream, grey and white.

They were all crested, American shorthairs.
    Name:  piggies.jpg
Views: 4926
Size:  25.8 KB

I also recently fostered a pregnant Sheltie/American cross. No crest with White, Black and Tan colouring. The father was a Sheltie Blue Eyed White.
    The babies are as follows
    Chrissie: White with Tan splodges and a weird smattering of dark brown fur across her 'tan buttspot'. She has feathers behind her ears. No Crest.
    Barnsey: Black, Tan and White. No feathers, but longer butt fur. Crested
    Bowie: White, Black and Tan. Fluffier fur than a shorthair with an impressive mullet. Awesome eyebrows. Crested
    Ziggy: White, Tan, Black and Grey Sheltie. Crested.
    Bach: White, Tan and Cream Sheltie. No Crest.

Momma in the middle, Chrissie on the left and Barnsey on the right
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1098160_10151903852251852_353216652_n.jpg 
Views:	174 
Size:	107.7 KB 
ID:	66163

Bowie, Ziggy and Bach (L to R)

Name:	1075577_10151470148206852_99719754_o.jpg 
Views:	146 
Size:	109.3 KB 
ID:	66164

And here's one of the whole family together before I had to separate boys from girls.

Name:	904647_10151335186231852_358861657_o.jpg 
Views:	226 
Size:	117.0 KB 
ID:	66165

Guinea Pig genetics are weird and convoluted. The only thing I've been able to work out over the years is that cream is definitely recessive, but that's about it.

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    136 Rec'd/81 Posts
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Quoted
    56 Post(s)

@Aertyn That last picture really looks like they are a family, kind of how human people look like their parents. In other cases it just seems so random. I have 3 girls, all different ages, all adopted from different people, but Pancake looks like she could be the offspring of Kiwi and Penelope. Penelope is golden agouti, Kiwi is tricolored, and Pancake has a section of golden agouti coloring on her back and the rest of her is tricolored. It is just so fascinating.

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    136 Rec'd/81 Posts
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Quoted
    56 Post(s)

@LifeAsItMayBe That's exactly the kind of thing I was wondering about. Mom is aby, and gave birth to all shorthairs. That leads me to believe that maybe the crazy rosettes are a recessive trait and the shorthair is dominant. Yes, I got all into 8th grade biology talking about Mendel and his garden peas!! One of my pigs is crested and I don't know where that comes from either. Is it an aby gene that is only partially expressed?

Thanks
    Thanks
    221 Rec'd/184 Posts
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Quoted
    132 Post(s)

I wrote a paper in college about guinea pig genetics. Rosettes are dominant to smooth coats, meaning that two abys can produce a smooth coated baby. There is some evidence of incomplete dominance with rosettes because if they carry the smooth coat gene they tend to have fewer or oddly placed rosettes. Anyway, since the only way to find out what genes they may carry is by breeding I just have to say all pigs are cute and it isn't worth the risk to learn more.

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner ThePigAlchemist's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks
    865 Rec'd/698 Posts
    Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Quoted
    399 Post(s)

I agree with you that genetics are really interesting. It's odd how rat genetics are pretty well known but there isn't as much information on guinea pigs. It's probably because there is so much more variation in guinea pigs. All I know about is the roan gene.

11. "Thank you, ThePigAlchemist, for this useful post," says:

Thanks
    Thanks
    62 Rec'd/31 Posts
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Quoted
    25 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ThePigAlchemist View Post
    I agree with you that genetics are really interesting. It's odd how rat genetics are pretty well known but there isn't as much information on guinea pigs. It's probably because there is so much more variation in guinea pigs. All I know about is the roan gene.
    Definitely fascinating! I've studied horse color genetics along with guinea pig color and coat genetics. Amazing what genes can DO!

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    14 Rec'd/9 Posts
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)

Zipper was a tri-colored pig. She was mostly white with her head and butt having two colors; half tan/cream and half brown. When she had babies one looked like her but without the tan/cream, one was all brown, and one was the tan/cream with brown on her butt and head. Zip was a pet store pig and was kept with an all brown male and a black male so we assume the brown male was the father.

Zipper (with her babies)-

Babies-

User Tag List