Thread: How much should a year old male weigh?

Thanks
    Thanks
    2 Rec'd/2 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

How much should a year old male weigh?

and how often should I weigh him

Thanks
    Thanks
    657 Rec'd/453 Posts
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Quoted
    319 Post(s)

How much should a year old male weigh?

It really depends on the pig. It's not as important how much he weighs as that he maintains his weight. You should be weighing him weekly, on a reliable kitchen scale.

3. "Thank you, pigger123, for this useful post," says:

Thanks
    Thanks
    2 Rec'd/2 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

Re: How much should a year old male weigh?

Quote Originally Posted by pigger123 View Post
    Ok, thanks! and he is a little over 2 pounds

Thanks
    Thanks
    11 Rec'd/11 Posts
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quoted
    11 Post(s)

Mine is almost 2 lbs and he's 5 mos old! The exotic vet told me he was going to be a big one, and she has been right so far. Is it a year they reach their maximum size, or is it longer? He's not overweight, and is active. I'm just amazed at how fast he's growing.

6. "Thank you, dubbergirl, for this useful post," says:

Thanks
    Thanks
    657 Rec'd/453 Posts
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Quoted
    319 Post(s)

2 pounds is a pretty normal weight for a guinea pig. @dubbergirl, I'm almost positive they reach their full size at 6 months, so he's almost an adult. They do grow up very quickly!

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanks
    43 Rec'd/42 Posts
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Quoted
    27 Post(s)

His weight should be fairly stable now so get a reading every week. You can also watch how much he's eating. It doesn't sound like he is a very large male, but his weight is fine.

9. "Thank you, Bodhi, for this useful post," says:

Thanks
    Thanks
    868 Rec'd/749 Posts
    Mentioned
    186 Post(s)
    Quoted
    392 Post(s)

They still grow after 6mths. Actually, they tend to put on weight and lose that lean teenage piggie look. Ferb gained about 150g between 6 months and a year.

Thanks
    Thanks
    657 Rec'd/453 Posts
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Quoted
    319 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Rywen View Post
    They still grow after 6mths. Actually, they tend to put on weight and lose that lean teenage piggie look. Ferb gained about 150g between 6 months and a year.
    Oh okay, I guess I was just basing that off of when you can take down the baby proofing.

Thanks
    Thanks
    11 Rec'd/11 Posts
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quoted
    11 Post(s)

The most he's gained in a week was 100 g. When he was really sick, he got really skinny above his hips and down his legs (we were having to do some PT with him to keep him from atrophying. Last week he gained 70 g. I bought a food scale for myself for Mother's Day and weight him weekly. I've just ready various things about when they stop growing and how much they typically weigh. If he keeps this up, he'll be well over 2 lbs. This is our first gp, so he's our learning experience. I rescued one for a friend a couple of years ago, who's daughter wanted one for Christmas (so I played Santa...poor piggie was originally gotten for a 3 yr old, who lost interest within a week, then was dumped on a preschool and they got tired of the mess--he is one messy pig and throws stuff out all over the floor etc). So...I played Santa, picked him up and dropped him off with a note from Santa I left on the tree. Rose Petal is really a boy, but her daughter wanted a girl....so she believes he's a girl and makes her happy. However, I hadn't seen Rose Petal since last year, (have no idea how old he is, but I'm guessing around 3 yrs old, and he fills up a plastic shoe box container, from side to side and end to end. I've never seen a full size pig before, so am not sure what to expect. As long as he's healthy, he can be little or big, doesn't matter to me. He's never had the lean teenage look. He went from 340 g at his first appt the week after we got him, and is now up to 890g now that he's healthy. My daughter was out of town last week at the beach, and she noticed how much he'd grown and how much heavier he felt. So, I was just curious and thought I'd ask here.

13. "Thank you, dubbergirl, for this useful post," says:

Thanks
    Thanks
    15 Rec'd/15 Posts
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    11 Post(s)

My Rex guinea pig is about 9 months old and he weighs about a pound and a half.
    Who needs children when you have fuzzy babies? :)

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanks
    43 Rec'd/42 Posts
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Quoted
    27 Post(s)

dubbergirl,

Quote Originally Posted by dubbergirl View Post
    He went from 340 g at his first appt the week after we got him, and is now up to 890g now that he's healthy. My daughter was out of town last week at the beach, and she noticed how much he'd grown and how much heavier he felt. So, I was just curious and thought I'd ask here.
    Your Piggie sounds like a biggie. Many people consider pigs to be adults at 6 months and change their diets. But they keep growing. Even later in life, they may put on some extra ounces as they become more sedentary. Give your Piggie plenty of pellets and fresh food as it grows. Also, if you keep your weekly weights you could post your chart here for others to see.
    Last edited by Bodhi; 06-11-14 at 11:36 am. Reason: Fixing mention.

16. "Thank you, Bodhi, for this useful post," says:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanks
    43 Rec'd/42 Posts
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Quoted
    27 Post(s)

I was going to mention the weight charts on Guinea Lynx. They have charts for three groups, two are females, one is males. Paulo's chart shows male pigs have pretty much all their bodyweight by week 45. Females top out a little earlier. And the disclaimer, of course, is that no two pigs are the same.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanks
    43 Rec'd/42 Posts
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Quoted
    27 Post(s)

I found the old weights I had recorded. Here is the chart:

https://plus.google.com/app/basic/st...t4zeomsc5zjs04

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner Artista's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks
    555 Rec'd/425 Posts
    Mentioned
    150 Post(s)
    Quoted
    336 Post(s)

"""""" That chart is not right otherwise my pig would be overweight, and she isn't. My girl is 2.5 lbs and she's just fine. You need to worry about weight LOSS once they've gone through their growing phase. They really don't gain a significant amount unless you are loading them up with unlimited pellets once they are adults, and sugary and junky stuff- and they have no room to move around. @bpatters has pigs that are close to 3 lbs.
    Last edited by Artista; 06-11-14 at 07:17 pm.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanks
    22 Rec'd/22 Posts
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Quoted
    104 Post(s)

I like your app what is the exact name of it?

Thanks
    Thanks
    7,315 Rec'd/5,830 Posts
    Mentioned
    2041 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3904 Post(s)

That chart at GL is based on old veterinary text books, which are waaayyy out of date. If you read the whole article, it says that the weights are light. I'd say that any ig under a little over three pounds is not overweight. Just my $.02, of course.

Thanks
    Thanks
    11 Rec'd/11 Posts
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quoted
    11 Post(s)

I changed Squeaky over to Oxbow adult within 2 wks of getting him. When he was sick, and we went weekly to the vet for a month, I asked about the powdery residue from where he was peeing, and he was eating alfalfa based pellets, and she suggested I change him to timothy hay based pellets. He gets a salad in the morning and a salad at night, and unlimited hay,and his pellets. I mix up the veggies (and cut back on the kale) and he's doing really well. He had a horrid case of mites and vit d deficiency so bad he stopped being able to use his hind legs. His hair has finally come back, and he's got a super shiny soft coat. Never having had a guinea pig before, I'm just curious about them and trying to learn all I can.

Thanks
    Thanks
    11 Rec'd/11 Posts
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quoted
    11 Post(s)

I weighed Squeaky on Friday, and he was up to 920 g or 2.04 lbs Funny how they are all different sizes. I have a friend who has one that is slightly older than Squeaky, and hers is smaller than mine. He gained 30 g last week, and that's an obvious slow down in what he typically gains in a week, so we must be getting to where he'll start leveling out.

Thanks
    Thanks
    11 Rec'd/11 Posts
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quoted
    11 Post(s)

Weighed Squeaky last week, and he was 1096g or 2 lbs 6.6 oz. I asked the vet via FB while including a pic of him, just how much bigger he was going to get. She thinks between 2000-2500g and reminded me she told me he was going to be a big one...LOL! He eats us out of house and home. Amazing how much hay he consumes in one day. Still on Oxbow cavy cuisine for adults and he gets plenty of fresh veggies every day. He's such a ham. Since he's the first guinea pig we've ever had, I'm amazed when I go back and look at pics of him in April when he came home with us, to how big he is now. My friends piggy, Oreo is older than Squeaky and when she weighed him, he topped the scales at 1 lb 10 oz. She says he's tiny and she wants to get them together for a size comparison. Of course, she said she was happy she had one that consumed less food than mine....LOL!

User Tag List