Thread: How to make a dog crate part of a stand?

Thanks
    Thanks
    17 Rec'd/15 Posts
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    14 Post(s)

Talking How to make a dog crate part of a stand?

Hello everyone!

I don't currently own any guinea pigs but hopefully I will as soon as I get a job. Anyways, when I do get a pair I plan on purchasing a 2x6 C&C cage from the cages store and I was wondering if a dog crate could be used as part of the stand? It's a 2'x3' dog crate and I would like to be able to still open/close the door for my puppy at night. Is there any way to make something else for the other side so it's stable or should I just buy a folding table and use that? Also, if I were to use a folding table would a 6' one work or is that too much hanging off the sides. The reason I'd prefer to use the dog crate instead of a table is because I'm so short and I think a table is taller so I can't imagine being able to reach across the entire thing to handle the piggies

Here's the space for my cage, where the dog crate is..and yes I know its by a window.
    Name:  floor space.jpg
Views: 91
Size:  9.3 KB

Thanks
    Thanks
    106 Rec'd/98 Posts
    Mentioned
    52 Post(s)
    Quoted
    105 Post(s)

Re: How to make a dog crate part of a stand?

a 2x6 c&c is 28'' x 84" or 2.3' by 7'
    for the stand.. how tall is the crate? for piggies, if its on the ground youre going to bending over a lot, and I find it better to be 1-2 grid length off the ground. one grid is 14" so 2 grids would be 28"
    Hope this helps

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    523 Rec'd/459 Posts
    Mentioned
    199 Post(s)
    Quoted
    415 Post(s)

I love my two grid high stand. I have spinal stenosis so the bending over was a killer even with a one grid high stand.

Thanks
    Thanks
    106 Rec'd/98 Posts
    Mentioned
    52 Post(s)
    Quoted
    105 Post(s)

I agree. One grid high stands are not so much of bending but when you have 3 cages like that.. Oh boy

Thanks
    Thanks
    17 Rec'd/15 Posts
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    14 Post(s)

The dog crate is just shy of being 27" high and if I were to use grids it would be off by a few inches with the connectors so my cage would be uneven. Unless is there a way to make a stand without the connectors?

Thanks
    Thanks
    106 Rec'd/98 Posts
    Mentioned
    52 Post(s)
    Quoted
    105 Post(s)

Connecters in my opinion are totally worthless. Don't take it as me being rude though . They break easy and I find them annoying. I prefer ZipTies. You can shape the cage in more ways than a box, and create new.
    edit to add: Just make sure if you use the zip ties, to have the "q' going backwards. you'll see if you look at one. the end of the q goes backwards threw the top. Hope this helps!
    Also, make sure its sturdy. I pressed firmly down on the grids that had zips on them, and if it bent to far, I added more ties for support.
    If you don't want to to get rid of the dog kennel, why not take the dogs kennel length and build outward? Like ziptie a grid above the door of the kennel, outward to 7 feet. That's possibly 4-6 grids depending on how long your kennel is. Hope this sparks an/some ideas
    For a firm 2x6, if you include a stand, I think it took me 300 ties. each pack of ties were less, maybe $1.50. (Don't know if youre in the UK,)I can help with building sizes as well ^^
    Last edited by HugglesBubble; 06-08-14 at 05:10 pm.

User Tag List