Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Other Sugar Gliders?

Ibbet

Cavy Slave
Hello everyone! As you can see I've been on this forum for a long time (though I mainly just lurk), well I have recently (as in yesterday evening) became a pet-mom to two adorable sugar gliders. Our neighbors (we live in an apartment) were "getting rid" of them because they liked the idea of an exotic pet but didn't like the idea of taking care of said exotic pet (the cage was matted in feces and their food had mold in it). My husband and I felt bad for them and he's been wanting some for about a year now anyway (wouldn't let him unless we could adopt some). Anyway we paid the (actually small) fee and now here we are! I was just wondering if anyone has any experience with these guys? Any forum recommendations? Cage recommendations? They're currently in an 14"L x 10.5"W x 18"H bird cage (what they've been in for a YEAR) so obviously they are in desperate need of a new one. We're thinking a large aviary type bird cage or a critter nation. The bars have to be EXTRA close together as they keep getting out and we've had to put mesh over this cage. And food recommendations? I've been reading up on them as much as I can but I was wondering if, like pigs, there is a REALLY good brand out there? Already have been making a list of the veggies, fruits, insects and protein sources but am interested to hear everyone else's thoughts. And toy recommendations, what has your sugar glider liked the best? I know bird toys are a good idea but what else? Thank you all so much. I just wanna do right by these two. I wanna give them as good a life as I can.

We've already renamed them Casey (The one on the ground) and Jones (the one on the perch):
20120101_023235.jpg

Casey looking at the camera:
20120101_034846.jpg

Princess_Piggie

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
I don't have any advice (sorry), but I had to say they're adorable! I've never even heard of sugar gliders before actually, when I clicked the thread I thought they were insects lol I hope someone knowledgeable comes along soon :)

Ibbet

Cavy Slave
I don't have any advice (sorry), but I had to say they're adorable! I've never even heard of sugar gliders before actually, when I clicked the thread I thought they were insects lol I hope someone knowledgeable comes along soon :)

Don't feel bad a lot of people haven't hard of them. Though they are gaining in popularity as pets. Lol, insects! They actually belong to the marsupial infraclass. Adorable little things, aren't they? And my husband is so excited that I definitely want to do right by them. Thanks for the free bump either way. ;)

Princess_Piggie

Cavy Slave
They are really cute. They look like a cross between bushbaby's and chipmunks! I imagine a ferret/rat cage could be appropriate? Just based on the fact that they seem to be able to do similar things like jump and climb, with lots of hammocks and perches and levels :)

Ibbet

Cavy Slave

Princess_Piggie

Cavy Slave
I think in terms of what they need it certainly looks suitable, but I couldn't say if they could squeeze through the bars or not.

Have you read this? https://exoticpets.about.com/cs/sugargliders/a/sgaspets.htm

I mean, take it with a pinch of salt because it's not a terribly reliable source, but there could definitely be good information in there about diets and the like.

CritterSlave

Cavy Slave
The critter nations are great I have two for my rats and even the tiny little ones can't get out so you'll be fine with the suggies. Half inch bar spacing is your friend and the cn has tons of attachment points for hammocks and toys and such so worth the money. Ferret.com has the best prices and the shipping is amazingly fast and they have the best customer service I've ever seen.

MrCavyMadness

Cavy Slave
I had a huge critter nation cage when I had mine 2 years ago. I love them!

Ibbet

Cavy Slave
Thank you all so much. I am definitely leaning towards the critter nation. I want the double unit really bad (looking for things I can rearrange so I can fit it) and think it would be perfect for them but I am still reading up. I just joined a glider forum to see what they recommend. Poor guys are all over their little cage and I feel bad they don't have more space. I don't see how someone could see these guys in a cage that small for over a year.

MrCavyMadness

Cavy Slave
Also the hammocks that you can buy on the website are PERFECT for sugar glider cages

pigger123

Cavy Slave
I went through a "research every kind of exotic pet" phase ;) awhile ago, and I did some reading up on sugar gliders. From what I've read, they love to have open space in their cage to leap around in, and the two level Critter Nation has that middle floor that blocks off the open space. Other from that potential downfall, it seems like it would be a great cage.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.