Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Pregnancy Pregnant pig, due anyday now not drinking as much? Normal?

Sraversrave

Cavy Slave
long story short, I purchased my guinea pig from someone on Facebook, she was already pregnant when we brought her to our home. I don't know exactly how far along she is but she is very large and I can see lots of movement in her belly. She has not been drinking hardly any water today and doesn't want any of her treats (carrots,peppers) all she has been doing is hanging out by the hay rack eating a couple pieces here and there. Is this normal? Should I take her to a vet if this continues?

Attachments

IMG_0906.jpg

Sraversrave

Cavy Slave
Thanks for the quick response! We already did that, I sprinkled some of her pellets around where she was sitting and moved her water bottle. I've been stalking her all day hoping to see her drink or eat but as far as I've seen she hasn't and her water bottle is still very full :/ she's not acting different other than that. But I'm starting to get worried I don't want her to get dehydrated. I gave her some lettuce just now and she did eat that so I guess that's a good sign?

MrCavyMadness

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
That's good because lettuce is high in water content and should help keep her hydrated at least.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
If she's close to delivery, she's just massively uncomfortable and probably would rather do nothing at all. Move her just enough to keep her from sitting in her own waste, and keep the food and water close.

jaycriae

Cavy Slave
I wouldn't take her to a vet yet, but have the number of a good cavy-savvy vet just in case of complications. I agree that she's probably just very uncomfortable, but it's always best to be prepared.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sraversrave

Cavy Slave
I wouldn't take her to a vet yet, but have the number of a good cavy-savvy vet just in case of complications. I agree that she's probably just very uncomfortable, but it's always best to be prepared.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

She seems to be doing better today, moving around a bit more and I did see her drink some water this morning. I put all new fleece down and I will be spending the day baby proofing! Any tips?! I've never had babies before! I'll post some pictures of her cage and run! Basically I turned an little entertainment center into her house she goes in there every night on her own and sleeps and then I have a ramp that comes down into her run which is basically a 3 X 4 of cube panels and fleece underneath

Attachments

IMG_0911.jpg IMG_0910.jpg

Sraversrave

Cavy Slave
Here are a few more

Attachments

IMG_0914.jpg IMG_0916.jpg IMG_0915.jpg

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Put some cardboard or coroplast up about 8-10 inches along the walls. You can remove it when the pups are too large to get their heads stuck in the holes.

Nice cage!

Don't forget you'll have to separate any male pups at 21 days of age. Here's sexing info: www.cavyspirit.com/sexing.htm.

Sraversrave

Cavy Slave
Thank you! I will run to Home Depot today and get some coroplast, hopefully I can get all this finished before the babies arrive 😱 She seems agitated by the babies kicking or something? She keeps hunching over and biting at her stomach, no contractions or anything like that. I watched a ton of YouTube videos so I know what they look like when they are in Labour almost Looks like a hiccup. But she's not doing that yet, just hunching over and biting at her stomach and cleaning it a lot. Maybe it's a sign?! Or maybe I'm just paranoid and needs some sleep lol

Attachments

IMG_0918.jpg IMG_0923.jpg IMG_0917.jpg

Sraversrave

Cavy Slave
Just got finished baby proofing her cage, still no babies yet!!

Attachments

IMG_1012.jpg IMG_0964.jpg

MrCavyMadness

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
Beautiful set up and pictures! Can I ask what kind of camera you use?

CavyCrazy79

Cavy Gazer
Any news on babies?

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.