Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Parasites Dark specks and hair loss in Guinea pig: what pest?

vanilla_817

Cavy Slave
Hey guys

my short-haired Guinea pig, Pumpkin, was given a little bath yesterday and I noticed that she has speeches on her fur only, similar to the size of regular human lice eggs, however I have not seen anything moving in her hair (yet). I've researched some possible pests but it has just made me more confused and unsure. What do you guys think?

thank you!

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Has speeches on her fur? Do you mean specks?

Dark flecks usually mean fleas. Whitish things stuck to the hair shaft mean lice. Mites are microscopic and burrow into the skin, but the scratching can cause both whitish and dark flecks in the hair.

Can you post a picture?

vanilla_817

Cavy Slave
Hey- thank you for your reply!
i've attached some photos of her hair. When I gently combed through her hair with a regular lice comb, a lot of stuff came out including hair full hairs with what looks like black pigmented skin on the bottom. I've found some dark, very dry patches- could this possibly mean fungus?

Thank you

vanilla_817

Cavy Slave
Sorry, I did mean specks.
Dark specks and hair loss in Guinea pig: what pest?
I also went through her hair with a lice comb, and this is what it looked like afterwards:
Dark specks and hair loss in Guinea pig: what pest? Not sure if you can see everything properly, but I can put up another photo if you'd like. Since scavenging through her hair, I've also found these dark patches of dry skin with hair falling off, as mentioned in my other reply.
Dark specks and hair loss in Guinea pig: what pest?Dark specks and hair loss in Guinea pig: what pest?
Those are the hairs, as well as the patch region. Pumpkin was taken to the vet today, but they didn't seem to find anything wrong with her except for a scab-like area near her ear which they say is from scratching, and did not give any more details into that. It is being treated with ilium dermotic. I couldn't add a photo into this reply unfortunately as there isn't enough space left.

I really hope this helps!

Attachments

ConcernArea4.jpg

Saylavi

Cavy Slave
It looks like a fungal infection. I would go get it checked out by an exotic vet if possible. In the mean time cold pressed coconut oil or Lotramin ultra foot cream applied topically will help.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Actually, you probably don't need a vet for that. Try one of the antifungal shampoos listed here: https://www.guinealynx.info/fungus.html. They're available at any pharmacy. Just be sure to rinse well after bathing.

vanilla_817

Cavy Slave
It looks like a fungal infection. I would go get it checked out by an exotic vet if possible. In the mean time cold pressed coconut oil or Lotramin ultra foot cream applied topically will help.

Thanks, Saylavi! I'll be using the coconut oil as it is more natural :)

vanilla_817

Cavy Slave
Actually, you probably don't need a vet for that. Try one of the antifungal shampoos listed here: https://www.guinealynx.info/fungus.html. They're available at any pharmacy. Just be sure to rinse well after bathing.

Thank you, I've taken a look at the website and I've decided to use Nizoral as it is easier to obtain: https://www.chemistwarehouse.com.au/buy/69082/Nizoral-Anti-Dandruff-Shampoo-1-200mL. However, do I use it twice a week as instructed on the website? It seems like a lot of bathing for a guinea pig. I will also be using coconut oil after the baths.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Yes, you need to use it twice a week.

You don't need to use the coconut oil. It has some antifungal properties, but not as much as the shampoo. Once you've gotten it under control with the shampoo, you can try the coconut oil. But I think you'll find it makes the hair pretty greasy.

vanilla_817

Cavy Slave
Yes, you need to use it twice a week.

You don't need to use the coconut oil. It has some antifungal properties, but not as much as the shampoo. Once you've gotten it under control with the shampoo, you can try the coconut oil. But I think you'll find it makes the hair pretty greasy.

Thank you so much! :)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.