Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Pregnancy my pregnant guinea pig mocha

Cassidy Yeary

Cavy Slave
Okay first off id like to start by saying her pregnancy was unknown of until 2 weeks after adopting her.
I adopted her of of craigslist the lady didnt mention she was pregnant, so i didnt hold her with care or properly do anything.
she is heavily pregnant right now shes probably due anyday how do i tell if she needs my help what if i dont wake up and she dies
shes totally healthy, but the lady said she was a year old and i read that if a piggys over 8mths its dangerous, im so terrified for my piggy i dont want her to die.
the lady just basically left her in my hands and walked off i wish she would have atleast dropped a hint or something,
mocha nips at my younger piggy azzabell should i seerate them for the babies i really need help and opinions

ps. sorry for punctuation,spelling, um slightly dislexic but im getting better at it :x pls help thx:love:

foggycreekcavy

Cavy Gazer
How large is your cage? Also, you'll need to baby-proof it.

How long have you had Mocha?

No need to separate Mocha and your other pig (Azzabell? Isabelle?) if your cage is large enough.

You will want to find an exotic vet in your area, and also an emergency vet that sees exotics, just in case something goes wrong. There's no way you can tell if something will go wrong until it does, so you'll need to be ready to rush to the vet.

Cassidy Yeary

Cavy Slave
My cage is 7ft I live in okc and I can't find a vet that will see small animals when I ask them they say not rodent or exotic animals dose petsmart or Petco have a vet, also how can I baby proof it

farmersdaughter

Cavy Slave
You can try calling the pet stores and asking who sees their animals when they get sick. Some Petcos even offer a free office visit coupon with an animal purchase. You can maybe sweet talk them into just giving you the coupon if they offer that. Petsmart would use their vet in store but they may have a vet outside that they can recommend for emergencies.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
@farmersdaughter, please do not recommend vets used by pet stores. We've seen far too many horror stories on here about pigs being misdiagnosed/mistreated/outright killed by pet store vets to ever want to recommend one to anyone needing pig care.

[MENTION=25199]Cassidy Yeary[/MENTION], what city are you nearest to. We might be able to help you find a vet.

If this isn't her first pregnancy, she shouldn't have any problems due to her age. It's only first time pregnancies in older pigs that cause problems.

How large is your cage? If it's big enough for your two and the pups, I'd leave them together. Mocha is just very hormonal and uncomfortable, and when the pups are born, she should be ok. But if your cage isn't large enough (see the main page of this site for size recommendations, then you need to separate them, or preferably, enlarge your cage.

You can baby proof it by zip-tying cardboard up the sides so that the babies can't escape or get their heads caught. You can take it down when they're too big for their heads to fit through.

gigiroxstar

Cavy Slave
Any news????

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.