Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Rehoming Age difference any relevant

MrsSuzy

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
So now that I know my 3 girls are not going to accept Lola (see here for whole story: https://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/about-guinea-pigs/86650-nerve-wrecking.html) myself and husband decided to get Lola a lovely neutered husband to live with. The rescue I re-homed her from had said I could take her back if things didn't work out but I am too much in love with her to return her and she's such a lovely piggie, definitely deserves a friend. And yes, I get a new piggie :D.

I've been already looking for neutered boys and there seems to be quite a few close to me. The question I have is about age difference. Lola is a 3 year old piggie. Is a young neutered boy likely to be too much for her? Should I try and match her with a similar aged boy? Or doesn't it make any difference?

Also, I take it that introductions of a single boy to a single girl will follow same procedures as others? (neutral, cage clean, etc). But are they usually smoother or can I still have trouble ahead?

Because a guinea pig post is not a proper guinea pig post without a pigture, I'll leave you with a recent photo of Lola :love:.

[/URL]

Megaredize

Cavy Slave
She is so precious I hope you find a fitting man for her. I have no advice because I have never had a male piggie. I still havent intro'd my baby to my pair of girls yet because I dont have the materials to extend their cage yet. I want to get new coro for the extension part.

I would think age wouldnt matter too much, but I could be wrong.

Good Luck!

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
The age shouldn't matter at all. If the male pigs are close to you, and are in situations where you know they're healthy and don't have parasites, you might arrange a "meet-and-greet" and let Lola pick out her own partner.

Megaredize

Cavy Slave
That is a great idea bpatters! What a spoiled little piggie she would be picking out her own hubby lol :)

MrsSuzy

Cavy Slave
Thank you so much! I think I'll be able to do 'meet and greet' with the piggies available from piggie specific rescues. How exciting, I hadn't thought about it.

And thank you for input on age, good to know it won't be a problem.

MrsSuzy

Cavy Slave
It might actually be good to get her a "boy toy"............his energy and antics may enliven her again. Chester was 17 mos. old when young Maya (3 mos) came to live with us. It had been a very long time since I had seen him popcorn. However, young Maya re-energized him and he regularly shows his playfulness by popcorning........especially when she is in heat an pursuing him around the cage.

I'm not sure how much one can actually tell from a single meeting, but it's probably a good start to see how Lola will react to a potential cage mate.

I was once given a surrendered female by a pet store owner and brought her home for a visit. Chester seemed mostly indifferent to her at the time, but was not openly hostile. I actually returned her to the store that same day (she wasn't what we wanted). I deduced that he would probably be receptive to a female roommate under the right circumstances. As I've mentioned, it was love-at-first-sight with Maya.

How exciting to be able to see lovely Lola get a new "honey". Think you can video the meeting?

Haha, I like the idea of a boy toy for her lol. You are right, she's been through so much since losing her sister to being ignored then abandoned, then rehomed, then rejected by her new sisters...she could definitely benefit from some pick me up remedy, like a lively boar lol

Yes, single meetings are subjective (after all my 3 girls with Lola in neutral territory were ok(ish)) but it might give me an indication. A rescue relatively close by (1hr drive) currently has 3 neutered boys (all separate) so might be good seeing how it goes. I need to arrange their C&C cage so might be a month or so until I get a boy, but yes, I think it warrants a littte video :D

How did Chester react when he first saw Maya? Did he popcorn straight away? And how did she react?

MrsSuzy

Cavy Slave
Oh my gosh @spy9doc what a lovely story and such a cute pair of piggies :)

I'll definitely have a go at it. Will post something when it happens :D

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.