Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Frustrated What should I do about guinea pigs and college??

JenniferTyler

Cavy Slave
I’m going to move into a college dorm, but they don’t allow pets. I don’t know if my parents would be okay on their own taking care of them, and I can try to be with them for as much as I can, but I really want to keep them. Does anybody have suggestions? I don’t have enough money to live in an apartment either

SSLee

Cavy Slave
@JenniferTyler, will you have the dorm room to yourself or will you have a roommate? Do your piggies still wheek? If you have the room to yourself and your piggies no longer wheek, it is pretty easy to hide initially. However, if you have friends over, at some point, it likely will leak out that you have pets in your room. Other than your parents, do you have anyone else you can house your piggies with until you can move into an apartment at a later point? I've seen multiple students share an apartment creatively and that might not be much more than a dorm. My niece shared a 1 bedroom apartment with two other roommates starting in her 2nd year at college. One of the roommates created a sleeping cove for herself in the living room using curtains tacked to the ceiling.

I took care of my father for over 1.5 years and stayed at his apartment , which did not allow pets. I snuck them in but just like @Candalalala mentioned, the apartment isn't checked unless there is a reason to. My father's place did have maintenance workers come through at least 4-5 times a year, checking on the sprinkler, fire, and various other systems as well as general repairs. Each time there was a maintenance appointment, I brought my piggies to the office (snuck in of course) for the day. My co-workers enjoyed visiting with the piggies whenever they came to work.

rosspiggys

Cavy Slave
If your parents are able I would start training them to take care of them. Then since you are going away to college, use the piggys as a reason for you to come home. When I was in school my mom would have done just about anything to get me to come home for a visit.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.