Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

General Can't stand up and not eating

kinderoreo2016

Cavy Slave
Agree :(

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Fay

Cavy Slave
I forgot to mention. The only time you wouldn't hand feed them is if they are not peeing or pooing which means there might be a blockage in which case feeding them could harm them more but if she's doing that fine then please do hand feed her to keep up her strength. If it's a blockage it'll be pretty serious though.

Comely Guineas

Cavy Slave
I will be very surprised if your guinea pig lasted the entire night without eating or drinking anything. When guinea pigs do not eat or drink within a few hours their body begins to shut down and they will die if not force fed or treated. Their digestive system needs to be constantly moving which is a reason they need hay 24/7. Your guinea pig probably had bloat, which is usually caused by not eating (or eating too many gassy vegetables like broccolli, bok choy, cauliflower etc). It is a build up of gas and makes their stomach huge and as firm as a ball. They will feel pain when you touch their sides (like you described). This is deadly if left untreated. Like Fay, I am not being rude or trying to scare you, I'm simply trying to inform as my guinea pig died just the other day from bloat. He did not eat or drink anything for about a day (that's all the time it took) and I took him to the vet but it was too late. Did your pig make it to the vet?

Fay

Cavy Slave
@Adam Glay - How did the trip to the vet go? Did she pull through? I've been keeping my fingers crossed.

Adam Glay

Cavy Gazer
Update: She's perfectly fine now. I checked on her in the middle of the night and she was back to normal. She's eating and drinking as usual.

Fay

Cavy Slave
I'm glad she's doing well! I would still get her checked out just in case. She might be hiding an infection since Guinea pigs are masters of hiding illness.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.