Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Biting Larry just bit me!

ggpigs

Cavy Slave
So,I was hanging out downstairs watching tv.No sounds coming from the Guinea Pigs. Five minutes later,I hear a Guinea Pig run,and Larry and Mo screaming.I walk in,and I check both Guinea Pigs, and Larry got bit an inch above the grease gland.I make the bite feel better by rubbing some Guinea Pig bite medicine on his butt,and then snuggle with him so he's not so scared.Instead of screaming and wiggling like he usually does when he wants to go in to his cage,he bit me! He was resting his tiny head on my shoulder , and he just leaned over and bit me! He bit me on the cheek.I cleaned it with soap and water,and then rinsed it with water.I rubbed some medicine on it and put a ban-daid on it.How do I make him stop biting me?How should I take care of a bite on a pig AND on me? Thanks in advance.:yuck:

Zuidy

Cavy Slave
What do you mean by "Guinea Pig bite" medicine?

You can take care of yourself with some Hydrogen Peroxide or Neosporin. Just keep any open wounds clean.

Whatever the "bite medicine" is, if you used it once, why can't you use it again for the bite on the Pig?

Guinea Pigs should never bite unless they are in pain, usually from Mites. I would treat for Mites if the problems persist.

ggpigs

Cavy Slave
I call Neosporin Guinea Pig medicine if I use it on pigs. Can someone give me some links?

NarwhalsRock

Cavy Slave
I agree with [MENTION=20670]Zuidy[/MENTION]. It could be mites, or he just might still be cranky from his OWN bite. Or maybe he felt threatened with you right up in his face...

Zuidy

Cavy Slave
I call Neosporin Guinea Pig medicine if I use it on pigs. Can someone give me some links?

Don't worry about it being Mites unless you see hair loss or his biting continues.

Nix16

Cavy Slave
I agree with [MENTION=22487]NarwhalsRock[/MENTION] that Larry may have felt threatened. Brioche has bitten once when she felt stressed after being pet by a couple of young children (a mistake on my part) she didn't bite the children, she bit me afterwards, she's never done it again. Unless Larry starts frequently biting I would assume it was the situation that caused it and focus more on treating the wounds on you both for the moment. Perhaps you could let him snuggle in a blanket on your lap rather than snuggle on your shoulder until he has recovered.

Paula

Pigaholic Extraordinaire
Cavy Slave
Perhaps you could let him snuggle in a blanket on your lap rather than snuggle on your shoulder until he has recovered.
Agreed. The way you were holding the pig doesn't sound like it was very comfortable for him. Holding him in a way that he could "rest his head on your shoulder" might be cute and all, but I can't imagine a way that wouldn't feel uncomfortable to a pig. I'd leave him alone for a while and only remove him when you're cleaning his wound or when it's otherwise necessary. If you're using Neosporin on him, make sure it's only a very small amount - it usually contains an ingredient that can be harmful if ingested in large quantities.

Agrimony

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
I don't know how bad he bit you but mine will nip when they want back in their cage, usually because they have to use the bathroom. Usually it is not hard, but one time he got me under my nail and that hurt really bad, even though he didn't mean to hurt me I'm sure. Maybe it was like that?

As far a shoulder snuggling goes I agree to perhaps avoid it until he's healed more, but I know some pigs do like to be held there. Mine do and will try and climb up on me but unfortunately with my allergies I can't have them touch my neck as it gives me hives.

ggpigs

Cavy Slave
My Guinea Pig,Larry,just loves to snuggle with me.He probably was feeling threatend.I am using a small amount on him.Can you give me some tips for the bite?His and mine.He bit me on my cheek.It didn't break my skin.But it hurt because I have extremely sensitive skin.

Nix16

Cavy Slave
If it didn't break your skin then you shouldn't have any problems, but if it's still sore I'd put some antiseptic cream on it as that should have an anaesthetic in it as well and will help with pain and any germs. Can't help with Larry's bite sorry, haven't dealt with this before.

leopardjunkie

Cavy Slave
diluted dial soap and neosporin. I do not reccomend Peroxide for wounds, it does such a great job at killing bacteria it wipes out both the good and bad bacteria, and you need the good bacteria to heal :) However I love peroxide for cleaning the house, teeth and reversing the chlorine levels in my pool! :)

CavyMama

Cavy Slave
If it didn't break the skin, I wouldn't worry about it. I agree that holding him in that position is likely not comfortable for him. Guinea pigs are bottom heavy so gravity is working against him if he is being held against your shoulder. They feel most secure when all 4 feet are flat on a solid surface. So maybe lap time can be on your lap on top of a towel.

Paula

Pigaholic Extraordinaire
Cavy Slave
I also want to add that I'm not sure the size of your cage, but you might need to expand it to minimize fighting or separate the pigs, depending on the severity of the bite. Bites on the back are never good because it means one pig is trying to get away and another won't relent and chases to the point of drawing blood.

ggpigs

Cavy Slave
We do have two cages,but it is even smaller than this one.My mom and dad won't let me expand.Dad said he might add more height by putting the smaller cage ontop of the bigger one and putting in a ramp,but I told him guinea pigs are afraid of being more than five feet of ground.I am four feet three inches so it is hard for me to get the pigs not to be scared of me holding them unless I am sitting on the floor.So, would it be a good idea if we expanded by putting the two cages side bys side?

CavyMama

Cavy Slave
Have you thought about making a C&C cage? It gives the pigs a lot more room to run around and exercise on their own time and it's much more roomie than a petstore cage. It's simple to make and it allows for expansion in case more room is needed. It keeps the piggy space cleaner, it doesn't smell as much and it's easier to clean.

ggpigs

Cavy Slave
My dad won't let me make one.If I connected the first to the second one,will it work?I need a liittle help.Can someone give me some insturctions?

cross

Cavy Slave
oh boy sorry to hear that maybe you got bit because she was still afraid

ggpigs

Cavy Slave
We have had Larry and Mo for 4 months now.I have bonded with both of them.

Coconut4536

Cavy Slave
ouch!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

iamsnape

Cavy Slave
My Noah loves snuggles but you can tell when he's not up for them because he really doesn't wanna come out of his cage - but then sometimes he's totally fine, let's me scoop him up and snuggle away :) Usually he nips me if he's been out for too long and wants to go back in his cage for whatever reason. Never hard, although the other day I didn't register it properly when he did it so he did it a bit harder a second time. Didn't draw blood but I certainly felt it!

You might find that if your guinea pig isn't like this and didn't want to chill on it's own, it might have been scared or uncomfortable where it was. It was probably still a little bit spooked from the bite and the medicine.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.