Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Infection Small poops on baytril

Littlepig

Cavy Slave
That's reassuring, I've been so worried about the possibility of diarrhea that I never considered that there could be other poop issues. I'm going to see what he's like as soon as I get home and perhaps phone the vet again. If it is caused by the anti inflammatory, will he do well on the baytril alone, with probiotics of course? The vet seems to think so anyway

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
As long as he's pooping that's not diarrhea, and as long as he's eating normally, I personally wouldn't worry too much. I'd keep an eagle eye on him, and weigh him twice daily to make sure he's maintaining his weight. But if things get worse, especially if it turns into very loose stool, then see a vet ASAP.

Littlepig

Cavy Slave
I picked up all the droppings when I got home and they were about 80 percent normal with a few small ones, but not dry, and since then I'm only seeing healthy new poop. The vet said despite the improvement, to stop the anti inflammatory and stick with baytril, and I'll be staying home to keep an eye on him.

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Glad to hear he's doing much better. My Poopy was so bad with the baytril, I think I'll forever be afraid to use the stuff again. Hopefully everything goes uphill from here and he continues to improve.

Littlepig

Cavy Slave
So sorry Poopy had a bad time on baytril, I feel so lucky that Piggy has responded well, I've had nightmares almost every night!
We've just come back from the vet, poor little guy is exhausted, he also had a pedicure and his grease gland cleaned, he's taking a long nap cooing in his fleece corner. The vet said his breathing is fine, but his eyes and nose look a little wet, so he's on bactrim twice a day for ten days. His droppings the last two days on baytril looked better than before the treatment, big long and dark. I'm hoping since he responded so well to baytril, that he's going to be just fine on bactrim, fingers crossed.

Littlepig

Cavy Slave
Piggy is on day 7 of bactrim, and his poo has been more or less OK, there were always a few small ones among the normal ones. But when I came home from work there weren't as many and they were smaller again. In the last two hours there have only been two small new ones. We have a vet appointment tomorrow, as they suspect stasis. What can I do for him in the mean time. He does seem to be eating though not as much, he seems to only be interested in grass and some hay, and he started eating the carefresh so I gave him a cardboard tube instead, I have never seen him so interested in cardboard, so this is definitely not normal behaviour. I'll cover the carefresh with fleece so he doesn't have access to it. Is this related to the bactrim?? I've been giving him probiotics and he was tolerating it very well until now.
I'm trying to stay calm, but it's not easy, how can I help him in the mean time???

Littlepig

Cavy Slave
He doesn't suffer from impaction, but I still check weekly and I checked him yesterday and he was fine.

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
He doesn't suffer from impaction, but I still check weekly and I checked him yesterday and he was fine.

So Piggy seems to be in the clear now?

If so, I'm so glad to hear it!

Littlepig

Cavy Slave
No, sorry, that was meant to be part of the previous post. Still no poos. He's eating but a lot less interested, like I said only grass and some hay, and cardboard :( so we still need advice before we can see the vet tomorrow

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
No, sorry, that was meant to be part of the previous post. Still no poos. He's eating but a lot less interested, like I said only grass and some hay, and cardboard :( so we still need advice before we can see the vet tomorrow

If they suspect stasis, you can go to the drugstore and get infant simethicone drops. Also, if you don't have a vibrating pillow, you can substitute a battery operated toothbrush or battery operated vibrating razor with the end removed and place it under a towel. Rest Piggy on the towel for a little while every so often and the vibrations can help to get his tummy moving again.

Littlepig

Cavy Slave
I will try the vibrating pillow, but I'm afraid as we are in Ireland, there are no pharmacies open after 6pm. I really don't understand the sudden preference of cardboard over everything else. He even refused a cherry tomato, to which he has never said no before!! The vet checked his teeth a week ago, so it's nothing to do with that. I'm worried about him continuing to eat and not poop.

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Hopefully you can pull him through. I'm hoping the vibrating will do the trick. If it does, you may need to prepare for a poop mess.

spy9doc

Cavy Slave
I really don't understand the sudden preference of cardboard over everything else.

This is not unusual. My boys go through phases of being obsessed with non-food items.....cardboard, the blue plastic on puppy pads and occasionally any exposed edges of coroplast that they can reach, especially the ramp.

I used to spend a good bit of time fashioning tunnels and hideys out of cardboard for them. Literally within two minutes of putting them in the cage, the boys are deeply engrossed in remodeling them! They certainly have eaten their fair share of non-food items and have never had a problem. I finally had to stop using puppy pads in the cage for any reason.

I doubt that ingesting cardboard will cause any issues. Just keep an eye on your boy for anything unusual.

Littlepig

Cavy Slave
He ate a blueberry, which is a sometimes treat, but I needed to sprinkle the probiotic on something he would definitely eat, and some cilantro, he's also eaten hay, and pooped some VERY small ones, which I guess is better than nothing. And he's back on the toilet paper insert, I've never seen him do that before, it's mind-boggling!! He's still active so I'll let him run around a little and then try the pillow.

Littlepig

Cavy Slave
Just as I finished typing he's discovered the wood tunnel and is nibbling on that. I know this is normal behaviour in pigs, and that's what the tunnel is for, but definitely unusual for my boy

Littlepig

Cavy Slave
Update on Piggy, the vet said there were no symptoms of uri anymore and gave me something to help him poop but I haven't used it as by the time we went to the vet it started to normalise and by next morning it was getting back to normal. By late afternoon his poop looked great,and he suddenly got his appetite back for peppers and cucumber,in which he wasn't interested in the last week of treatment. But in the last couple of hours he has been whining while pooping. Today was his last day of antibiotic for uri and now this! I'm suspecting bladder stones of course :(

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.