Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

C&C Four Sows and cage size

new2piggs

Cavy Slave
I have read the cage size recommendations but a 2x6 still seems small to me for 4 sows. Once mine are all full grown, I Just can't see how they would all be able to have their own space and communal spaces plus eating areas. I do have the space to build bigger than a 2x6 but I would have to get creative with the angles. I also don't want to make a huge cage and have it not be used. My questions is, does anyone have 4 full grown piggies (or more) and what size cages do you recommend?

pigmommy89

Cavy Slave
Bigger is always better, but I've had 4 sows in 2x6 and they were fine. Right now they're in a 2x7 just because I had the space.

new2piggs

Cavy Slave
@pigmommy89 if you don't mind me asking, how was your cage layout and how many hidey areas (forests etc) did you have?

pigmommy89

Cavy Slave
I use the barn houses for hideys, one for each pig. One end of the cage is the "kitchen". All of the water bottles and food/hay are in that 2x2 section. I place the houses in the middle of the cage so they can run around them like a race track, but they always rearrange anyway. Mine seem to do well with either size. The houses are so lightweight that they just push them out of the way to get past them while running.

sallyvh

Cavy Slave
I have 4 sows in a 2x6 C&C. Two are almost 3 years old, then a 1.5 year old and a 5 month old.

Everyone gets along fairly well and I think they fit just fine. Bigger is always better. Make the cage as large as you can. A 2x6 is the absolute max that would fit in my space so that is what I went with.

I have mine as a an L-shape, it's really a 2x5 with a 1x2 section sticking out the one end.

My girls are really good about sharing things so we have 1 kitchen area, it's a bit bigger that 1.5×2 grids. Disposable bedding and hay go there. I have one big pellet bowl (none are huge pellet eaters so there isn't competition around the bowl). 3 water bottles (2 in the kitchen and one at the other end). 4 hides (a step stool, a fleece forest and 2 log bridge tunnels).

I don't really have any photos of the cage and I'm back at home with my girls for Thanksgiving for the weekend. Next week when I'm back at my student house I can take detailed photos.

At my parents house they share a 15 sqft closet shelf cage. It's a bit smaller but they are get along well. It's the same kind of set up as above, just laid out differently as the cage is 3x5 feet.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.