Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Fleece Having trouble with fleece flippers

Insighted

Cavy Slave
I recently ordered fleece flippers and I am having lots of difficulty getting them to wick. This is my first time ever using fleece as I just got my first guinea pigs in December. Since the fleece is brand new and pre washed, the first wash all I used was vinegar since I didn't think anything else would be necessary. I then did two washes using only water, but they still won't wick at all, the water just sits on top. I currently have them washing a fourth time using vinegar again. Is it not wicking because I didn't use any detergent or anything? I'm getting frustrated as the cage really needs to be cleaned and I was hoping to have the fleece ready by today to avoid using up another entire bag of carefresh. Help :sad:

Oh, and when I wash them I use warm water (again, because they're brand new and I didn't think hot water would be necessary) and the "regular" cycle, and then I put them in the dryer. Would this affect the wicking in any way? I'm ashamed to admit I've never used a washing machine or dryer before this, I'm not sure why I'm finding it so confusing.

image.jpgphoto.jpg

RubyRain

Cavy Slave
You should wash in hot and dry on hot to get them to wick. The hot temp will strip them of the "coating" they have that prevents the wicking.

MissJean

Cavy Slave
I always use detergent when washing new fleece, even if I buy liners that have been washed beforehand. Some people swear you only need vinegar when stripping. I disagree.

I also recommend Country Save or Arm and Hammer scentless for sensitive skin. I put a very generous amount of vinegar in the rinse cycle. Hot water and low heat in the dryer.

I've also stopped using fabric sheets on my clothes. I've heard people question whether it can lead to a waxy build-up in the dryer. I'm not sure if that's true, but I use vinegar as a natural fabric softener with my clothes. I rather be on the safe side and vinegar is quite effective.

Megaredize

Cavy Slave
hot water is best. im waiting for my fleece flippers and have asked if i could wash in cold since they will not be dirty when i get them. and i was told no. wash in hot. you can add baking soda with the vinegar i dunno if that will help it wick or if you have a detergent that is scentless and has no fabric softner in it. also did you use a dryer sheet? dryer sheets are fabric softners.

Insighted

Cavy Slave
Which detergent would you guys recommend? All I have right now is scented Tide, and I'm assuming that wouldn't be very good to use. Do I use unscented detergent as well as the Arm and Hammer or Country Save?

MissJean

Cavy Slave
Country Save and Arm and Hammer unscented are detergents. These are just what I personally find work for me.

Insighted

Cavy Slave
Country Save and Arm and Hammer unscented are detergents. These are just what I personally find work for me.

Ahhh, I feel slightly stupid now. I just went out to the store and bought Arm & Hammer essentials plant based/non-scented/sensitive skin, hopefully it starts to work now, I think I may have put too much in the washer though..

MissJean

Cavy Slave
I always put less than the recommended amount of detergent in. Saves me some money and does just as good cleaning. I'd also make sure the washer is not overloaded so that the hot water has plenty of flow room to rinse all the detergent and grime away.

C. Cole-Chakotay

Cavy Slave
I use Arm and Hammer Unscented and a bit of white vinegar for my girls' laundry. When I first started using fleece, I read you needed to wash and dry it at least three times to get it wicking properly.

Inle_Rabbit

Moderator / Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Gazer
All Free and Clear also works well.

Insighted

Cavy Slave
Okay guys so I washed them with Arm & Hammer and water went through :) They probably could have used another wash but I ran out of time and my pigs desperately needed a cage change, so I put them in. They were popcorning everywhere, I took a video and I'll upload it soon! Hopefully this works out!

Thanks for all the help everyone.

Megaredize

Cavy Slave
oh good im glad they are working for you now. i cant wait for mine! :D I would love to see your video of your happy pigs on their new fleece.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.