Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

C&C Can't find any 9x9 grids?!!!

GPlove94

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
The only grids I could find are the 8x8 and 5x5 grids. Right now my guinea pigs are living in a play pen that I keep open because they're very tame and love free ranging and leaving the cage whenever they want, they never wander anywhere past the living room, but of course I close it up when I leave and am not able to supervise. So anyways I put the 5x5 grids against the wall and the 8x8 grids on the outside. I know it's dangerous that guinea pigs can get their heads stuck but the only time they ever try to stick their head through grids is when eating hay. I personally know my guinea pigs won't just randomly stick their head through a grid. The only time they will ever stick their head through is for hay which I'll fix with extra bars from the play pen to make the space smaller where the hay rack is to prevent them from sticking their head in there. I was probably gonna put the walls 6-8 inches high around the cage as well. My guinea pigs are pretty tame and doesn't try to bite and stick through grids. And btw I think the fact that they have a huge cage and have "almost" 24/7 access to floor time they tend to not try and escape.

heres how the grids are set up

Attachments

image.jpg
Last edited:

Traysea

Cavy Slave
Maybe you can just make sure your coroplast is really high on the sides with the wrong grids or when you find the right grids use the wrong ones for a stand. You can order the right grids online at walmart.com and amazon.com if that helps.

GPlove94

Cavy Slave
Thanks guys I think for now I'll safe proof everything with high coroplast not to high though and put spare grid bars where their hay racks are. And I agree @JennasPigs I'll probably order some sometime next month and use the grids I have now as a stand when I get the new grids like @Traysea suggested

Last edited:

Melissa123

Cavy Slave
Do you have any Meijer's, K-mart, Bed Bath and Beyond near you? These stores do sell the 9x9 grids. If you can't find any then you could double up on grids.

Sunny

Cavy Slave
I have used 8X8 grids for years with no problems with my three full-grown pigs. Up until two weeks ago, that was without coroplast, too. Just the grids on top of my fleece on the floor. I have always used the five by five as my cage lids.

I do have a baby now, though, and her C&C will be baby-proofed until I believe she is big enough to not possibly get stuck. I now have coro and use the five by five as cage stands.

People don't like it, but it has never caused a problem for me or my pigs.

Mellisenda

Cavy Slave
You can also order just the safe grids from Staples online;

(broken link removed)

They come in sets of 10, white or black.

GPlove94

Cavy Slave
Do you have any Meijer's, K-mart, Bed Bath and Beyond near you? These stores do sell the 9x9 grids. If you can't find any then you could double up on grids.
All kmarts down here has shut down and my local walmarts and bed bath beyond doesn't carry the grids and we don't have a meijers in SC.

Melissa123

Cavy Slave
@GPlove94, all BB&B stores will let you buy them in store and have them shipped out to the store for free. You can also order on Kmart.com 9x9 grids. Shipping is free when you buy 3 boxes I am told.

Rabbit_Lover

Cavy Slave
You could buy them in-store like @Melissa123 suggested or you can go online and order them and pick them up in-store.

GPlove94

Cavy Slave
Guess what guys I found a kmart about 1 hour away from my apartment and I got a 6 cube grid set for $16
image.jpg

Rabbit_Lover

Cavy Slave
Those are the ones I have and I love them.

rolandinthehay

Cavy Slave

TheUniqueNique

Cavy Slave
So, glad I found this post, I have been looking for cheaper ones. I found some at Target and Walmart but kinda pricey (even though yes they are cheaper than from anywhere else) never even thought about kmart!!!! I have a 2x4 and am getting another 2x4 cage!!!

TheUniqueNique

Cavy Slave
And my other problem was that I also had trouble finding the 9x9's!

GPlove94

Cavy Slave
And my other problem was that I also had trouble finding the 9x9's!

I'm glad this thread helped you. My new problem now is finding the right size for the coroplast base/loft/ramp.

SqueakyPig

Cavy Gazer
For a ramp, you could use wood or another alternative if you didn't have enough coroplast.

TheUniqueNique

Cavy Slave
Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.