Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Bonding Introducing baby Guinea pig?

cavycalm1

Cavy Slave
Hi everyone, I have posted a couple times on the forum before, with my guinea pig Sprout... And now I have finally gotten her a friend!!!! Her name is Bean, she's a six wk old Abby, and she's very cute...
she is very shy tho, and scared of everything, will barely move... I've gotten her to eat veggies, but no hay, pellets, or water Has been consumed.

I've read on this forum that it's better to introduce the baby earlier than later to the other gp, but I can't be positive, and I don't want to harm either of them. Bean needs a mama, and Sprout's nice and healthy... Should I introduce them soon (like tomorrow?) or wait. Bean has been quarantined for almost 36 hours.

Any advise would be great...
Thanks.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Thirty six hours isn't long enough for a proper quarantine -- that takes three weeks. But if you can absorb vet bills for two pigs instead of one if they both get sick, go ahead and introduce them. Lonely babies are pitiful, and I'd always opt for introducing them ASAP unless one or the other has some awful disease you don't want to transmit.

cavycalm1

Cavy Slave
Thanks! I think I'm going to take bean to the vet this Friday, to get her checked up, and then if the vet deems her healthy, I will probably go through and introduce the two of them. Bean is doing a litttle better, I think she may have eaten some hay that I put in her hidey!!! I have just one more question for after introducing them... (I know how to do a proper introduction in a neutral area)

-Bean is on alfalfa hay and pellets. How do I make it so she gets her stuff, but Sprout doesn't have any?

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Feed them both timothy hay and pellets, and take Bean out for a sprig or two of parsley every day.

cavycalm1

Cavy Slave
Feed them both timothy hay and pellets, and take Bean out for a sprig or two of parsley every day.

Thankyou bpatters!!! I will do.!.!.!
Veab seems to prefer the nice quality Timothy hay to alfalfa anyways. :)

lisa325

Cavy Slave
Welcome to little Bean, I'm sure she will settle down and be munching away on hay when she's had the time she needs to adjust:love:. BTW I love their names, Bean and Sprout, lol, very clever

cavycalm1

Cavy Slave
Welcome to little Bean, I'm sure she will settle down and be munching away on hay when she's had the time she needs to adjust:love:. BTW I love their names, Bean and Sprout, lol, very clever

Thank you lisa325!!!

cavycalm1

Cavy Slave
I am introducing the piggies today, after a clean bill of health from the vet, will inform you guys how it goes. I have already heard bean copy what sprout does if she hears her wheek, she starts wheeking!!! Bean will be so happy! Sprout has never had any companions her entire life so we'll see how it goes.

cavycalm1

Cavy Slave
Ok... been a while since I was last active on this thread, and I did introduce Sprout (my current pig) and Bean (the baby New Guinea pig) but there has been some lumps and bumps during these past few weeks they have been together. What I want you to have as further information before answering any of my next questions is:
I have a 2 by 4 c and c cage.
They are both sows.
They have 2 sources of water and pellets, and a large kitty litter box that holds both of them comfortably and their hay.
None of the hideys have only one hole to it, but there are a few tunnels in the cage.
They get floortime every couple days, and treats daily.

My questions and concerns are:
Sprout rumblestruts at been lots.
She tends to run bean over.
she kicks Bean out of hiding places and nudges her around.
Bean always makes noises if Sprout gets too close to her, as if she is afraid, and sometimes I catch her in the middle of the cage sitting still staring with her eyes wide at sprout.
There has been no blood drawn.

Can anyone tell me if this is normal behavior, how to make it better, and what might be wrong?

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Totally normal. Nothing is wrong. Just ignore it. Bean will take revenge someday.

cavycalm1

Cavy Slave
Totally normal. Nothing is wrong. Just ignore it. Bean will take revenge someday.
Ok. Thank you. Just wanted to make sure. Was probably being a bit of a worrier, but I just want both my piggies to be happy.

Stortdyr

Cavy Gazer
Rumblestrutting is normal, jsut seperate them if blood is drawn. Sprout is probably just excited, therefore running her over and nudging her around. Has Sprout been an single pig for a long time?

cavycalm1

Cavy Slave
Rumblestrutting is normal, jsut seperate them if blood is drawn. Sprout is probably just excited, therefore running her over and nudging her around. Has Sprout been an single pig for a long time?
Sprout has been single since she was found alone with dead siblings, then taken to the humane society where she waited for around three months, alone, and then I've had her for around three months, where she was alone, but I think by that point she would have forgotten who that bond she had deep inside her was supposed to be tied to-- so when Bean came into her life, it was a bit chaotic to her. (Sprout being a mellow piggy, and Bean popcorning at every new things she saw, whether it be new hay, a toy she won't chew, or a clean cage.)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.