Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Behavior Guinea pig won't stop wasting food!!!

ali815

Cavy Slave
Title says it all. He would always tip over bowls, so I ended up getting him larger, heavier ones. I haven't found anything so heavy it won't tip over if he stands on it, though, and apparently he needs all his food to be exactly at mouth-level to eat it -_- I got him a sort of L-shaped food "bowl" that clips to the side of the cage and is right at mouth-level (lazy butt)...and now he digs in it!!! Argh! Does anyone have any suggestions? I have to buy a bag of food like once every two weeks now.

scoottie

Cavy Slave
Unfortunately pigs will waste food but I hear that this helps haven't tried it myself but I heard other swear by it. (broken link removed)

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Stay Bowls are great. So are soap dishes tbat are flared out at the bottom so they won't tip. I've use one for years and they've never turned it over.

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I've used this bowl for the last 7 years. Never had them tip one. Sly will drag it around with his teeth, usually when he's in a pigloo or under some other cover so that he can "eat in". Punkin and Scooter can't even budge theirs.

ZiggyPig

Cavy Slave
If it makes you feel any better, mine always pee in one dish of pellets, thereby ruining the whole dish - I never know which one it is going to be, and I always put out two because I have two piggies. GRAH!

Highhopes112

Cavy Slave
My first piggy would poo in her food bowl so I went to my sister who has birds and got a bowl that hung on the side of the cage which worked out until she found out how to knock it off and turn food into Confetti so then I got a Hay and food bin feeder. It has the hay rack and a little tray in the bottom for food and it hangs on the side of the cage, I don't know what other people think about those, but it worked well for me. I just made sure to dump it out completely every day when I fed her. I now have two piggies and it doesn't hold enough food for both of them so I would probably recommend one per piggy...but that's just what I think and I have very little to back any of that up...

ZiggyPig

Cavy Slave
Am I the only one that just picks the poos out unless it's time to change out the food? There's usually only a couple, if more than that, it's time for a cage clean!

scoottie

Cavy Slave
Am I the only one that just picks the poos out unless it's time to change out the food? There's usually only a couple, if more than that, it's time for a cage clean!

You shouldn't have to change out the food if you are giving the correct amount of 1/8 of a cup per pig per day.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Mine don't always eat all their allotment of pellets, but I don't change it unless they've peed in it. Fortunately, mine are not bad about doing that.

pigmommy89

Cavy Slave
Mine often don't eat all of their pellets either, but they won't eat them anymore if they're not fresh. So I take the bowl out and pretend like I put fresh in but really just top them off and give back the same pellets. My cats are the same way. The dogs never leave anything behind, so not an issue with them.

Highhopes112

Cavy Slave
There usually isn't much left and if it's in the hay rack feeder it's just easier to dump it. plus I worry about mixing the hay and pellets over a long period of time, I don't know it could be from cooking in restaurants for four years but I'm just afraid of how long it's been in there if I don't dump it all the way

Likeabanana.tg

Cavy Gazer
Hey so I just got a new piggy and i dont know if you will be able to answer this or not, but im more so excited that my guinea is flipping his bowl because he used to just stay in his pigloo and i was wondering if this is a good sign or not. He is a single piggy and i try my best to keep him happy and i don't know if this is out of boredom or something.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Any guinea pig will flip a flippable bowl. The way to prevent that is to get a bowl that can't be flipped, either a heavy ceramic bowl, or one with a flared bottom, or a Stay-Bowl. And once you've done that, you can be prepared for him to pee and poop in it.

But guinea pigs are herd animals, and he needs a buddy. I'm sure you can find one to adopt somewhere relatively close to you, but you'll need a large cage for two boars.

Here's some recommended reading material for new guinea pig owners:

https://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/threads/113176-Information-for-new-guinea-pig-owners
https://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/threads/107827-What-NOT-to-do-for-your-guinea-pigs!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.