Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Frustrated My Friend Should NOT Keep Her Guinea Pigs!!

CavyMama

Cavy Slave
Ohhhh thank heavens!! I was really distressed over your story until I read that you got the animal shelter involved. SO glad they are in good care now!

It sounds to me like she knew you were right but wasn't willing to change what she was doing and to give them up would be like admitting you were right. She wasn't about to do that.

As an aside, guinea pigs do need hay to survive. It's not some added extra that only good owners give. They will die without it. Without it, they will likely develop malocclusion. Which is likely to cause their molars to overgrow. Which is likely to trap their tongue. Which is likely to cause them to not be able to eat. Which is likely to cause them to lose massive amounts of weight. Which is likely to cause their death.

LightningPig1

Cavy Slave
I just read this and WOW!! That is some crazy stuff right there! Congratulations for taking the initiative and saving the lives of these pigs. I don't understand how people just don't care about animals. And to think why they got them in the first place!

CavyMama

Cavy Slave
And to think why they got them in the first place!

I know, right? She wanted your pig. Then she went out and got two of her own. It sounds very much like when a small child begs mom and dad for a puppy then loses interest. Mom and dad are no better. They allowed her to get the pigs and according to them, guinea pigs are "just rodents" and don't need vet care. >(

Buggie_00

Cavy Slave
I will never understand why parents don't teach their children the value of life. Regardless of religion or beliefs a life is precious, be it animal or human and should be treated respectfully. I liken her care of her pigs to an abusive parent. One who withholds proper food and care and love because they have no real feelings for them and view them as a nuisance. For her parents to not care what she does with those pigs is horrid and deplorable as well. They are enabling her to be self-centered and have no respect for the creatures around her. I don't care how much or how little money you have, there is no reason to abuse anything or anyone and what she was doing was flat out abuse. I'm so glad to hear that they were taken from her, and that you will be able to adopt them and provide a loving home with proper care. I'm sure it will take them some time to adjust to being loved but I'm sure they'll be thrilled that they have so much space and good food and lots of cuddles.

There is no excuse for what that girl did. None. And there is no excuse for her parents allowing that behavior from their child. I have three children, 11yrs 6yrs and 5yrs. They love and care and respect our furry family members. They help refill food bowls (especially my 5yr old daughter who has loved refilling food bowls since she was 2) they help refill water, my oldest helps clean out the 2 cages we have (one for our cavies and one for a gerbil.) All the animals get love and snuggles and good food and what they need and our children have learned to treat them well and love them. If you don't have the time/skills/compassion to dedicate to loving a pet.....don't get one.

Congratulations for standing your ground and getting those piggies out of a horrid situation, you are a wonderful person with a big heart and I'm so glad they're going to get better.

CavyMama

Cavy Slave
Ohhhh! I missed the part where you said you were going to be able to adopt them! What a happy ending to this story! :D

The sad truth is though, that because petstores sell indescriminately, she could just as easily go out and buy more guinea pigs. They don't care how she treated them before, as long as she has money to pay. :mad:

kathlaaron

Cavy Slave
I know, right? She wanted your pig. Then she went out and got two of her own. It sounds very much like when a small child begs mom and dad for a puppy then loses interest. Mom and dad are no better. They allowed her to get the pigs and according to them, guinea pigs are "just rodents" and don't need vet care. >(

My feelings exactly. I do not know how old this young lady is, but I put most of the blame on her parents, I am appalled at the way they have allowed this whole awful situation to happen in the first place, and then their irresponsible behaviour in not stepping up and taking the pigs to the vet and then away from their very uncaring irresponsible daughter ! :mad: It's unacceptable !

https://www.guinealynx.info/diet.html#hay

Guinea pigs need hay for not only keeping their molars trimmed down ( since a piggie's teeth are constantly growing) it is also necessary to keep their digestive systems moving, so it IS VERY important for their survival. Please refer to the link I provided above, a medical expert site that we all turn to. It is also mentioned on Teresa's cavy home site here:

hay

So as one can see, hay is the MOST important part of a guinea pigs diet, and unlimited quantities as well, 24/7.

CavyMama

Cavy Slave
So as one can see, hay is the MOST important part of a guinea pigs diet, and unlimited quantities as well, 24/7.

Yup! In their diet, hay is #1 most important. Next is veggies then pellets after that. Unlimited hay is super important for a lot of reasons. Two of which are the ones you mentioned: keeping molars ground down and keeping digestive tract moving.

kathlaaron

Cavy Slave
I talked to my friends parents yesterday. Both pigs were dying. They both have scurvy, URI and a terrible case of mites. I tryed talking them into taking them to the vet, I was told guinea pigs are rodents and there is nothing they can do.

So my parents and I called our local animals shelter and told them what was going on. They went over to her house in hopes of educating her and her family. They had no luck.

So they took the guinea pigs away from her. What hurts me is that, she didn't care. She was fine, and as they cared the dirty cage out, she started texting.

The pigs are now going through treatment. They are much better, and from what I can tell, they both did there first popcorn!! They are living in a 3x5 C&C cage. They are no longer fighting, and there starting to plump up!!

They are being talken care of!! And when all of there treatment is over, I will be able to adopt them!! They will live in a 3x7 C&C cage with my two boys!!

Thank you so much everyone for all of your help!! I fell so much better!! Thank you all!! You helped me save those piggies lives!!

I wanted to give you a VERY BIG HUG and a VERY BIG KUDO'S to you for stepping up and doing what you needed to do, and a big thanks to your parents too !! Hip hip HOORAY !! Now those piggies will have a loving forever home with you:heart:, what an incredible story of what advocacy, determination, and love, can bring ! :cool: Thank you so much for what you did for those poor little piggies in dire need...you are AWESOME go_ellie !

Buggie_00

Cavy Slave
Ugh the cage she had them in is so small! I'm so glad they have a new home. I didn't even use that small a cage for our early days while we were gathering supplies for the C&C. *I had the cubes but the C&C wasn't available for 2 weeks because of holidays.* I got the larger sized one that is 40in long and 20 wide, and while that's not big enough for a permanent home it served it's purpose for 2 weeks while we waited on the coro. Plus my girls were babies so they were smaller in there. I cannot imagine having adult pigs in that tiny cage, let alone multiple adult pigs. How inhumane.

Again, I'm impressed by your compassion for those guinea pigs. The world needs more people like you, and your parents as well for backing you up. Kudos to all involved in the good fight.

suzilovespiggie

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
Thank you so much for caring enough to do something for these 2 guinea pigs. That was so awesome of you! Because you cared, those pigs are going to have a great life. A thank you for your parents who has shown you and allowed you to be a great care giver for your own animals.
I think it is wonderful these 2 pigs are going to come into your herd when they are well enough.

As for your friend and your friends parents, I do hope they learn from this. I hope the animal control who picked up the pigs shared this with them. Rodents are lives that need, proper food, shelter and love just like any other living being whether it be animals or not. I really hope until they learn this they have no more rodents or any other animal.

Again KUDOS to you for a job well done.

newToCavies

Cavy Slave
I'm glad it turned out okay :) Hopefully this will be a wakeup call for her. She was probably just putting on a show by pretending not to care - that had to have been humiliating for both the kid and the parents. Hopefully it gave her at least a little bit of a shock and she might think about this event the next time she thinks about getting a pet.

Wildcavy

Cavy Gazer
I just want to add my thanks to that of everyone above for going many extra miles for these piggies!! Your piggies are so lucky to have you as their piggy mommy. And honestly, I think you made an impression on your friend too -- she is clearly being raised in an environment where neglecting the helpless is thought to be okay. Someday down the road, when confronted with a choice herself, I'd bet she'll think of what you not only said but the actions you took, and it will help guide her to do the right thing.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.