Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Pellets Small Pet Select Guinea Pig Pellets

SesshyBooBoo

Cavy Slave
I use Oxbow Adult Guinea Pig pellets for my two adult boars. However, the past couple of bags I have gotten they have not been crazy about them...I'm not sure if the product tastes different now but it seems like they don't really care for their pellets anymore.

I am thinking about ordering these pellets from Small Pet Select. My pigs LOVE their hay so I figured their pellets would be a favorite too.

Has anyone used their pellets before? Thoughts?

Here is a link to the product and it's ingredients. They are of course a timothy hay based pellet, with fortified vitamin C:

(broken link removed)

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
My major complaint with them is that they use limestone (calcium carbonate) for their calcium source.

SesshyBooBoo

Cavy Slave
Is that bad for them? They just really don't seem to care for Oxbow pellets anymore and I'm trying to find an alternative. I've bought a fresh bag of the Oxbow pellets and they won't even touch them.

SesshyBooBoo

Cavy Slave
Also I know someone with piggies and they say the pigs go crazy over the Small Pet Select Pellets that's why I was interested in buying them especially since their hay is so fresh and green.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Pellets with limestone seem to be a contributing factor in bladder stone formation.

SesshyBooBoo

Cavy Slave
Do you know if any other pellets that are good besides Oxbow? They don't seem to like them anymore and I want to make sure they get the nutrients they need.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
No. The new Oxbow and KMS are the ones I prefer.

SesshyBooBoo

Cavy Slave
What is KMS? Also, if my piggies aren't really eating their pellets will they still get the nutrients they need through their hay (I use small pet select) and fresh veggies?

peachyteen

Cavy Slave
KMS is an online only brand, if you Google "KMS pellets" it'll come up

Sent from my SM-G386T using Tapatalk

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
You can go pelletless. I've done that when I've had stone pigs. But I'm extra careful to pick darkly colored veggies (radicchio, red bell peppers, etc), and I usually give sprinkle a few drops of Vita Drops multivitamin for guinea pigs on their food 2-3 times a week. No more than than, because they've got fat-soluble vitamins in them, and guinea pigs have lots of fat to absorb them. You don't want them to get too many.

SesshyBooBoo

Cavy Slave
You can go pelletless. I've done that when I've had stone pigs. But I'm extra careful to pick darkly colored veggies (radicchio, red bell peppers, etc), and I usually give sprinkle a few drops of Vita Drops multivitamin for guinea pigs on their food 2-3 times a week. No more than than, because they've got fat-soluble vitamins in them, and guinea pigs have lots of fat to absorb them. You don't want them to get too many.

Okay, my older pig has had bladder issues. Are green bell peppers ok? I give them 2-3 slices a day.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Green peppers are fine for the vitamin C, but in general, the more color a vegetable has, the more vitamins and minerals it has. If you're trying to replace the nutritional value of pellets, you need to figure out some colored veggies to feed.

SesshyBooBoo

Cavy Slave
Green peppers are fine for the vitamin C, but in general, the more color a vegetable has, the more vitamins and minerals it has. If you're trying to replace the nutritional value of pellets, you need to figure out some colored veggies to feed.

Okay, thank you for the tips. I just ordered some KMS pellets so hopefully my boys will like those better than the Oxbow.

What are some good colorful veggies that you feed? Any suggestions would be appreciated!

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Mine love radicchio. They get a chunk of carrot every day, as well as (usually) colored bell peppers. They also get yellow summer squash. I use blueberries for treats.

SesshyBooBoo

Cavy Slave
Mine love radicchio. They get a chunk of carrot every day, as well as (usually) colored bell peppers. They also get yellow summer squash. I use blueberries for treats.

I've never tried giving them radicchio, I'll have to give it a try! Mine get a baby carrot every day, green bell pepper, green leaf or red leaf lettuce, and romaine. I try to mix it up and give them different veggies but the supermarkets' produce has been looking awful lately >(

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.