Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Behavior Odd Behavior - Way out of the norm

OpFor

Cavy Slave
I've had my guinea pig for 4 years. We've never really had any health issues with her and she has never acted as if anything has been wrong.

As of late, she's been acting a little.. odd, if that's the appropriate word for it. She's still eating her full meal of veggies (twice a day) and she's eating her hay and dry food, as well as drinking her water. No issues there. She also still moves around and isn't just sitting in one spot all day.

The thing is, she's just been acting weird. She's a very docile animal normally, and she's litter trained and never goes to the bathroom outside of her cage. That has changed a little bit lately though. She seems a lot quieter than usual, and then she'll have days and moments where she's very loud and squeaky. No, she's not in heat. Additionally, both of her eyes (ESPECIALLY the right eye), are watery, but not crusty. It can be wiped away and sometimes she even uses it to clean herself, but there is an unusually large amount of it. The water in the left eye is somewhat minimal, but the right eye is double of what the left eye has. Her litter training has also seemed to escape her a bit. For every meal, I take her out of her cage and hand feed her. After she's done eating, I let her sit with me and I just give her attention for an hour or two. She poops, but doesn't pee, on the towel. She tries especially hard to conceal it and I can tell that she's trying not to go on the towel. This problem only arises after she's just ate though. If I take her out at like 12 noon and hold her for 3 hours or so, there isn't an issue. Her breathing is normal and it's not wheezy or anything. (from the looks of it) her eye doesn't seem to have anything lodged in it either. She isn't sneezing a lot either, just the occasional sneeze like humans.

Two days ago, we took her to the vet since we're really perplexed by her behavior. The vet examined her and couldn't find anything wrong with her. I'm aware that the watery eyes can be a sign of a URI, but the vet couldn't find anything else really. The vet said that if there's a chance that she has a URI, it's a very early sign and it can't really be investigated at this point.

All of this started unfolding the day before Christmas, maybe a few days earlier. Could it be just a "cold" or "phase" that she's in? I don't think either would last as long as they have, but she can't talk obviously, so I really can't diagnose anything beyond physical appearances.

Princess_Piggie

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
Guinea pigs don't generally get 'colds' so to speak of, so you'll want to keep an eye on her for any other signs of URI appearing.

As for toileting outside the cage, that could just be because she's getting older, and can't 'hold it', if you know what I mean? Odd that she doesn't try and tell you to put her back in the cage, though. I'm sorry I can't be of more help!

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I doubt that it's either a cold or a phase. The eye sounds like she might have a blocked tear duct. You can take sterile saline or artificial tears on a sterile pad and gently wipe her eye, and you can VERY VERY VERY gently massage underneath the eye, toward the corner. But be careful -- the duct structures are very fragile, and you don't want to damage them. Do that for a couple of days and see if anything changes about it.

Never having known or seen a completely potty-trained guinea pig, I really have no idea about that. But I can tell you that it's nothing I'd worry about. Guinea pigs are guinea pigs, and 99.999% of them pee and poop wherever they want. Some owners are lucky enough to put litter pans in the places the pigs like to use most, but that's not to say they wouldn't go elsewhere if they felt like it.

OpFor

Cavy Slave
Guinea pigs don't generally get 'colds' so to speak of, so you'll want to keep an eye on her for any other signs of URI appearing.

As for toileting outside the cage, that could just be because she's getting older, and can't 'hold it', if you know what I mean? Odd that she doesn't try and tell you to put her back in the cage, though. I'm sorry I can't be of more help!
I forgot to mention that, but yeah, she normally does try to tell me by tugging on the towel. She doesn't make an effort to do that, which is also way out of the ordinary for her. She seems to get very comfortable very quickly and almost seems to not realize that she's out of her cage. It's very odd.

Princess_Piggie

Cavy Slave
Maybe she's just mellowed out a little as she got older, and isn't so bothered about being in her cage when she goes? Like she could be really comfy with you and not want to leave?

OpFor

Cavy Slave
I doubt that it's either a cold or a phase. The eye sounds like she might have a blocked tear duct. You can take sterile saline or artificial tears on a sterile pad and gently wipe her eye, and you can VERY VERY VERY gently massage underneath the eye, toward the corner. But be careful -- the duct structures are very fragile, and you don't want to damage them. Do that for a couple of days and see if anything changes about it.

Never having known or seen a completely potty-trained guinea pig, I really have no idea about that. But I can tell you that it's nothing I'd worry about. Guinea pigs are guinea pigs, and 99.999% of them pee and poop wherever they want. Some owners are lucky enough to put litter pans in the places the pigs like to use most, but that's not to say they wouldn't go elsewhere if they felt like it.
And you reminded me of yet another thing I forgot to mention - her physical activity seems to have dropped. We let her roam the house 2-3 times a day for about an hour each time. As of late, she gets out of her cage and does a little exploring, and then picks a random spot in the room and puffs herself up and kinda stares off into space. Normally she's very excited to run and she'll often run for the entire time, but now she doesn't really do anything. The odd thing is that she still climbs our of her cage to run, so she obviously wants to run, but she isn't running. This only started happening after she started acting strange.

Can a blocked tear duct really cause her to do all of this? I mean, the drop in activity, pooping on me, and the watery eyes all together just because of a blocked tear duct seem like mismatched symptoms, but granted, guinea pigs are small animals, so even the most minor things can have a pretty harmful effect on them.

OpFor

Cavy Slave
Maybe she's just mellowed out a little as she got older, and isn't so bothered about being in her cage when she goes? Like she could be really comfy with you and not want to leave?
Maybe? But this started happening almost immediately after these other symptoms arose, so it just makes me think they're related somehow.

Princess_Piggie

Cavy Slave
Honestly, I'm no expert, but everything you've described other than the eye watering issue just sounds like a mellowed out, older pig to me. I can understand how you'd be convinced they're related though, I would be too! We worry so much about our tiny furry friends haha.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I didn't mean to imply that a blocked tear duct had anything at all to do with the other symptoms. I just didn't attach any importance to the fact that she pees and poops outside the cage.

But your later post describes lethargy, which you didn't mention the first time. That's more worrisome, and points more toward a possible URI than a blocked tear duct, although the tear duct could still be an issue.

I think your vet is right. Until she develops some more definite signs, there's not much to be done. Antibiotics are such a problem for these little guys that they're not given to them to ward an infection, only to treat it once the pig has it. And if whatever is bothering the pig isn't a bacterial infection, antibiotics won't do any good anyway.

I'd say watch her like a hawk for the next few days. Weigh her at least twice a day, and handfeed if she stops eating on her on or is losing weight. If she does stop eating/drinking/pooping/peeing as much as she normally does, then you should go back to the vet.

LuvCavysLuvCats

Cavy Slave
And if whatever is bothering the pig isn't a bacterial infection, antibiotics won't do any good anyway.

Sorry, just a quick question. So if it's viral, there is nothing that can be done at all? Or just that antibiotics won't help and you would need to treat with something else?

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
There are very few things that will treat viruses, in animals or humans. Mostly they're just left to run their course, unless it's one of the few things that does have a treatment.

OpFor

Cavy Slave
So we went to the vet yesterday after her condition worsened Saturday night and Sunday morning. They had her in the exam room for over 2 hours, and in the end, they ended up prescribing an even stronger medication. As a result of the medicine, she really wouldn't eat any of her vegetables, so we had to feed her through a tube and give her medicine for her stomach so the diarrhea wouldn't be as bad. She had really weakened greatly and the vet even said that it could be something else, but they would have to do some extensive testing, and she was in no condition to go through a bunch of tests. After they gave her the shot and some liquid-based food, we took her home and kept our eye on her all night. My mom held her for 5 hours and throughout the entire night. At around midnight, she began making a crying noise that was very loud and even my sister's guinea pig could hear it, and she seemed kind of shaken from hearing it. She eventually stopped, and my mom fell asleep for a bit with her cuddling in her arms. When she woke up, Ginger had passed on. She was 4 years old.

I'm literally crying my eyes out as I type this. Thank you to everyone who tried to help here, you don't know how much it really means to us. We'll never lose our love for her, as she taught us so much and was just an amazing little companion.

Amanda Branch

Cavy Slave
So sorry for your loss.

janinehunt

Cavy Slave
So sorry that you lost your little Ginger.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.