Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

3 months later... A proud cavy slave!

jayval

Cavy Slave
Ok..Lets move on..My pig is 3 months old..Shoudl I be giing him the 1/2 cup veggies morning and night as recommended for adults, ? Or should I be giving less..

CavyMama

Cavy Slave
3 months is considered an adult so yes, give him the recommended amount for adult pigs.

jayval

Cavy Slave
OK...I thought it was 6 months?
Thanks! ive probably been giving 1/4 cup ..

Inle_Rabbit

Moderator / Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Gazer
@ChukaWakame - I love that pink pokadot fleece! Also the grey guinea pig looks just like some dogs I have seen. Lapsa-opsas. With their little curly tails stuck on their backs. How cute!

blackarrow

Cavy Slave
I also volunteer at both our local pounds and a vet for uni and I understand the cruelty that can be apart of behind the scenes.

Which makes it all the more incomprehensible why you're then saying people shouldn't even do the simplest things to stop it.

But what i dont understand is that if the members telling others from day dot opt to adopt to stop the creulty, where on earth are you all buying your petfood, pet toys, medications, etc. If we are to talk about eradication of the petshop industry mills etc. One of the biggest money funders of such are not the live animals its the accessories, so even if you say i will never buy a petshop live stock your food and everything else is funding live animal stores anyway.

I don't know about anyone else, but I buy my piggie stuff from Kleenmama's, which does not fund live animal stores in any way, shape or form. The one time he needed a med, I bought it from my vet. As for toys, usually all they're interested in is toilet paper rolls. Bought from Kimberly-Clark, LOL.

I buy all my food from our cavy shelter as well as medications and accessories etc. So though I may have bought a etstore pig, I monthly support numerous pigs awaiting adoption??

Hooray for you?

So why do others need to redicule my "enthusiasm" for having 2 amazing pigs from a breeder.

I don't know why anyone would ridicule someone being enthusiastic about the animals they happen to have. I don't know why anyone would think that it's worthy of enthusiasm that you happened to get them from a breeder.

I personally feel constantly threatened by the main characters on this site (plus I have found it hard to make freinds here no matter what I say and how many comments I give) , and as I said I know its not meant. But instead of commenting on a newbie and putting them on the defense from there FIRST post, refer them to a humane education link or page or sticky thread so its not as personal.

To paraphrase The Princess Bride, "I don't think that word means what you think it means." (Both the words "threatened" and "personal.")

NotAgain_piglys

Cavy Slave
Jayval What type of veg are giving? I have the veggie chart in my wallet and everytime I go to the store and I can only ever find the same old 3 or 4 different veg mainly parsley and celery -_-, I'm sure theyere bored of these!

NotAgain_piglys

Cavy Slave
Which makes it all the more incomprehensible why you're then saying people shouldn't even do the simplest things to stop it.

I don't know about anyone else, but I buy my piggie stuff from Kleenmama's, which does not fund live animal stores in any way, shape or form. The one time he needed a med, I bought it from my vet. As for toys, usually all they're interested in is toilet paper rolls. Bought from Kimberly-Clark, LOL.

Hooray for you?

I don't know why anyone would ridicule someone being enthusiastic about the animals they happen to have. I don't know why anyone would think that it's worthy of enthusiasm that you happened to get them from a breeder.

To paraphrase The Princess Bride, "I don't think that word means what you think it means." (Both the words "threatened" and "personal.")

Thanks for your insight, I shall go forth!!
Meh princess bride I found hard to get through, but then again I had to watch it for high school and thats been 6 years -__- Not that I'm old....LOL Mabe I should revisit it? But on a far more serious note......... Is 'The Thing' out in cinemas over there yet, I would love to know whether its a dispointment or worth a go? I'm hoping to catch the kangaroo taxi down to the cinemas, as its raining here and the drop bears get so disorientated ..

blackarrow

Cavy Slave
As I said, in regards to preaching which if we are going to be blunt black arrow, this forum seems too full to the brim!
I don't know, it's probably not preachy enough, since you're still marching on in and telling someone (unbidden) that you think it's "great" that they bought a pig from a breeder. And this despite you feeling as "threatened" as you keep telling us you do!

I'm not fluffy wuffy by all means :p, I was simply offering views from my experience and sometimes I find it frustrating when there are threads turned over into preaching choir by keyboard heroes who may or may not have acutally contributed any thing else apart from saying "hey... medal needed here I rescued",

I don't see anyone here looking for a medal for rescuing their guinea pigs. It's its own reward. And not that you seem to care about the facts, but it's far from all I do to help change the situation of animals in rescue - I put about thirty hours in the average week into animal rescue. (Combatting posts like yours is a drop in the bucket!) Even if explaining to someone that there are better choices really is all someone else did, it's better than contributing to the problem, like you have.

in honesty our main cavy shelter here somewhat disgusts me as they adopt out to people with tiny unsuitable outdoor hutches. Not all rescues are up to standard and in recent times I have noticed alot of them are likeminded to those of mill owners.
Well, that's just plain ridiculous. It's certainly unfortunate that they don't have the resources to take care of the problem which others have foisted upon them. That doesn't begin to put them up there on the culpability scale with those who have foisted the problem upon them. At least they're trying to help.

NotAgain_piglys

Cavy Slave
I don't know, it's probably not preachy enough, since you're still marching on in and telling someone (unbidden) that you think it's "great" that they bought a pig from a breeder. And this despite you feeling as "threatened" as you keep telling us you do!

I don't see anyone here looking for a medal for rescuing their guinea pigs. It's its own reward. And not that you seem to care about the facts, but it's far from all I do to help change the situation of animals in rescue - I put about thirty hours in the average week into animal rescue. (Combatting posts like yours is a drop in the bucket!) Even if explaining to someone that there are better choices really is all someone else did, it's better than contributing to the problem, like you have.

Well, that's just plain ridiculous. It's certainly unfortunate that they don't have the resources to take care of the problem which others have foisted upon them. That doesn't begin to put them up there on the culpability scale with those who have foisted the problem upon them. At least they're trying to help.

We all do our part, I dont consider myself any less or more than you or the next person, I think we are all extremly important in the bigger scheme of things! And there is a scheme, I just hope its made of marshmellows :) your obviously a seasoned 'animal orientated' person so I must'nt waste your time, unfortunatly I'm not sure your goal is being met as I dont need a stranger's approval of how right or wrong of a person Iam!! Soz, I really think your whole point is being missed, I only want to help (not to mention spoil the hell outta all pigs I come into contact with!! :)) and will continue to do so if you believe I do or dont, and Im not going to say whether or not your apart of the positive motions in society or not as I have no idea who you are or what life you lead HEHEHEHE >_<

. I will say......I like buckets!! My husband I play this game on road trips where if you spot a bucket on the side of the road you have to say bucket!! You will be surprised how many buckets are on the side of the highway, I have considered raising funds and awareness for homeless and unwanted buckets as a bit of a fun event to raise money for a bigger cause or soemthing :p Mabe I could paint them up like pet rocks but pet buckets instead......oh my I'm onto soemthing!:eye-poppi

Last edited:

jayval

Cavy Slave
So far I give green and yellow bell pepper, romaine, carrots..But I have only had him one week...I have the the entire chart from these forums, So I have to go shopping again :)

NotAgain_piglys

Cavy Slave
So far I give green and yellow bell pepper, romaine, carrots..But I have only had him one week...I have the the entire chart from these forums, So I have to go shopping again :)

Awesome! I have all the charts and every week i plan them out and hope to get everything possible....but silly supermarket wont cater to my guinea pigs need -_-, I'm needing to visit the farmers markets I think! Organic farmers that is! :)

blackarrow

Cavy Slave
We all do our part

No, really, that's not true. Many people not only don't do their part, they make the world worse. Buying a pig from a breeder is one of those little completely preventable things people do that just make the world a teeny bit worse than it needed to be. All for no reason.

unfortunatly I'm not sure your goal is being met as I dont need a stranger's approval of how right or wrong of a person Iam!! Soz, I really think your whole point is being missed, I only want to help (not to mention spoil the hell outta all pigs I come into contact with!! :)) and will continue to do so if you believe I do or dont, and Im not going to say whether or not your apart of the positive motions in society or not as I have no idea who you are or what life you lead HEHEHEHE >_<
Please, don't worry yourself one little bit about whether my goals are being met with you. I have little hope of getting through to you if your alleged time in shelters doesn't. But that isn't my goal. For every you there is, there are readers who aren't half as thick. Who realize that whether or not you "want to help" doesn't really matter, when what you are in fact doing is in fact hurting. I do wish you cared half as much about the pigs you don't come into contact with as the ones you do, as it's them you're hurting.

jayval

Cavy Slave
Good luck!! I think my pig eats healthier then me :)

NotAgain_piglys

Cavy Slave
Good luck!! I think my pig eats healthier then me :)

LOL my pigs absolutly eat far better than I do! Little pigly poo's, they steal from my plate as well!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.