Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Hay Yellow hay

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
@Kelsie, why are you worried about the short "strands?" Those are stems, and they're made up of strands. It doesn't matter how short the stems are, but you want the long strands because of the fiber they provide.

Long strand hay has absolutely nothing to do with how long the stems are. Stems are a function of how and when the hay is cut. Strands are a function of what that type of hay is made of.

Kelsie

Cavy Slave
I just wanted to bump up this thread to give a report on the GuineaDad Orchard hay that I purchased. It's really very good hay. It nice and soft and doesn't have much dust to contend with.

The only drawback for me is that it comes in the 3 boxes that are meant to be opened and used as the method to dispense the hay. The hay is so firmly packed in the boxes that I can't see how the pigs could really get it out. I tear the boxes apart and just put the hay into the coroplast kitchen that I purchased from the GP Market here on the forum.

I sent GuineaDad an email asking if they might just eventually sell the hay in bags. They replied that it is something they are considering.

Unless something changes, I will probably continue buying GuineaDad Orchard Hay. It seems to be a big success with my pigs.

Artista

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
I just wanted to bump up this thread to give a report on the GuineaDad Orchard hay that I purchased. It's really very good hay. It nice and soft and doesn't have much dust to contend with.

The only drawback for me is that it comes in the 3 boxes that are meant to be opened and used as the method to dispense the hay. The hay is so firmly packed in the boxes that I can't see how the pigs could really get it out. I tear the boxes apart and just put the hay into the coroplast kitchen that I purchased from the GP Market here on the forum.

I sent GuineaDad an email asking if they might just eventually sell the hay in bags. They replied that it is something they are considering.

Unless something changes, I will probably continue buying GuineaDad Orchard Hay. It seems to be a big success with my pigs.

That's why I don't try his hay. I have great hayracks easy to use that they rarely use. They like it on top of the wood pellets in their kitchens. Bella will burrow in it and Bianka will lay there lazily chomping on it. Would be smart to offer both ways.

SSLee

Cavy Slave
@Kelsie, thank you for the feedback on the GuineaDad orchard hay. I am glad you were able to buy some, as it is currently sold out. Regarding the lack of dust, in the product description, it is stated that the hay goes through a dust filter so that seems to be working well. I am interested in using the box as a hay rack but will have to remove some hay and loosen up the rest in order for the piggies to pull it out.

hihiduyu

Cavy Slave
Am also interested in the how it is accepted by your guinea pigs ��

Kelsie

Cavy Slave
Am also interested in the how it is accepted by your guinea pigs ��

They really seem to like the orchard hay. The first night I put a large amount in the kitchen area for them and by morning the whole pile was completely gone. Usually by morning I still find hay that they've picked through during the night. This is the first time that I've seen them really devoured the hay until there was only tiny little slivers left. It really has that fresh newly mowed aroma to it. I think that is what is really attracting them to it.

SSLee

Cavy Slave
Initially I was happy with my current order of KMS bluegrass order as it appeared to be green. However, as I'm getting into the heart of the flake, there are a lot of brown pieces. Sometimes after pulling out the big pieces of brown hay, I'm left with 1/2 - 1/3 of the initial handful. Once I'm done with this current order of KMS hay, I'm definitely going to order from GuineaDad. By the way, for those that are interested, GuineaDad's orchard hay, which was sold out is now back in stock.

Artista

Cavy Slave
I think every box can vary. I have never seen so much green in bluegrass. I got a 10lb and now 15lb. I'll probably get another 10lb and I only have 2 gps...

hihiduyu

Cavy Slave
Nice, I ordered it when it got restocked! Thank you

Artista

Cavy Slave
[MENTION=40232]SSLee[/MENTION], thank you for the notification. I just went to their site and ordered the Orchard hay. My pigs seem to really like their Timothy hay so I hope they like the Orchard hay just as well.

So does guinea dad have any brown? Of course the pic shows all green. Do they sort it so it's that good or it's like all others, depends on their current crop conditions?

Kelsie

Cavy Slave
@Artista, this is the first time I've bought the Orchard hay and it is all green. In the past, I've purchased their Timothy hay and it was also completely green. There was no brown at all in it. The Timothy was a little more brittle and I don't think my pigs like it as well as they do the Orchard.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.