Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Pellets NEW Hay/Pellet Combo Packages From Small Pet Select

pinky

Cavy Slave
I'm not risking stones for my gp. Besides, KMS pellets are fatter,fresh and smell wonderful and the price is great. The hay and pellets from small pet select is expensive! Maybe it's partly because it comes in nice packaging? Pulling plastic out of a box of hay is fine with me to save money and my pig is in love with KMS so why switch it?

There's no guarantee that using a specific brand of pellets will reduce the risk of stones. Vets sometimes recommend a pellet free diet for guinea pigs that are prone to them. I use KM pellets because my guinea pigs seem to prefer the taste but I limit the amount because I'm concerned that pellets might increase the risk, even timothy based ones. I have a couple of pigs that sometimes have sludgy urine, even though I only feed veggies with the lowest calcium levels and KM pellets.

Artista

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
There's no guarantee that using a specific brand of pellets will reduce the risk of stones. Vets sometimes recommend a pellet free diet for guinea pigs that are prone to them. I use KM pellets because my guinea pigs seem to prefer the taste but I limit the amount because I'm concerned that pellets might increase the risk, even timothy based ones. I have a couple of pigs that sometimes have sludgy urine, even though I only feed veggies with the lowest calcium levels and KM pellets.
True but nonetheless, I'm one for doing what I can whether it makes a difference or not. The prices are enough to deter me. I didn't even look at the shipping. But the packaging is nice.

Laurie

Cavy Slave
True but nonetheless, I'm one for doing what I can whether it makes a difference or not. The prices are enough to deter me. I didn't even look at the shipping. But the packaging is nice.

Thanks for your feedback and I'll have to look into this because I thought our prices were pretty comparable. I think maybe some confusion because of the shipping? Our most popular package seems to be the combo which is 10lbs hay + 4lbs pellets for $39.99 w/free shipping.

lunarminx

Cavy Slave
I'm not risking stones for my gp. Besides, KMS pellets are fatter,fresh and smell wonderful and the price is great. The hay and pellets from small pet select is expensive! Maybe it's partly because it comes in nice packaging? Pulling plastic out of a box of hay is fine with me to save money and my pig is in love with KMS so why switch it?

I do not find the hay expensive at all. I buy their hay @ $80.00 for 60 lbs and free shipping, it would cost me almost that to get KMS hay.

And get the KMS pellets 25 lbs for 46.00 including shipping.

lunarminx

Cavy Slave
This is the closets comparison I can get . Shipping is included.

KMS pellets alone is 28.00 for 10lbs @ 2.80 per pound.
Small pet pellets alone is 23.50 for 5lbs @4.60 per pound.

Combo deals are close in price but you get double the pellets.

KMS combo, 9lbs Timothy hay & 10 lbs pellets -$44.00

Small pet combo, 10lbs Timothy hay, 4 lbs Pellets - $43.50

Hay alone, including shipping. Please note depending on where you live the shipping may be more or less.

KMS 45lbs Timothy hay is $65.00 @ 1.44 per pound

Small pet is 60 lbs of Timothy hay $ 79.99(80.00), free shipping @ 1.33 per pound.

For me it works best to get the Smallpetselect hay and KMS pellts.

Melissa123

Cavy Slave

Hay alone, including shipping. Please note depending on where you live the shipping may be more or less.

Small pet is 60 lbs of Timothy hay $ 79.99(80.00), free shipping @ 1.33 per pound.

Thank you so much for this! I always wondered how much I was spending per pound just never did the math!

@Beth Pearson, useful info :)

Laurie

Cavy Slave

That's great info, thank you! I noticed the ratio of the hay to the pellets is quite a bit different. We believe they should be eating much more hay than pellets so that's our reasoning for offering packages with larger amounts of hay with pellets as a supplement. I also wanted to let you guys know we'll be offering another package which is 20lbs hay and 8lbs pellets as soon as we get the bags in for them (should have them on Wednesday). We are planning for this package to be $59.99, and I hope it will be a popular one for those that want to buy a little more in bulk.

Also I just want to make sure everyone knows that we give free shipping to all customers when they use the code 'gpigcages'. Our goal is to give the best deals to our repeat customers. For those of you that have purchased with us before you will notice we always have the coupons for the free shipping, so really since you guys are members of this forum you should never have to pay a shipping charge:)

CanadianComforts

Section Moderator
Cavy Slave
I would love to try it but I can not find anything about Canadian Shipping prices.

lunarminx

Cavy Slave
@ Laurie

**We believe they should be eating much more hay than pellets so that's our reasoning for offering packages with larger amounts of hay with pellets as a supplement.**

I have to agree, I have hay in the rack and thrown down in the kitchen, so I use a lot of hay. My young guys only get the 1/8 cup pellets, my old guys get more. They all get lots of hay. Do you plan to ever offer different types of hay too?

ClemmyOddieIndy

Cavy Slave
Interesting. I didn't even know Small Pet Select existed. :) When people ask me for food recommendations I've always only said KMS or Oxbow... good to offer another option.

Artista

Cavy Slave
Where you live makes a big difference in shipping. I live in CA and KMS is a lot cheaper than ordering farther east.

lunarminx

Cavy Slave
Where you live makes a big difference in shipping. I live in CA and KMS is a lot cheaper than ordering farther east.

Agreed, the cost for me to order and ship to Maryland for hay and pellets, 45 lbs hay and 10 lbs of pellets would be $37.77 shipping plus the $52.00 for the combo.

Artista

Cavy Slave
Yeah, I just looked at my account on KMS to see what I paid for 5 lbs timothy 3rd cut and 5 lbs blue grass combo. With shipping it was $27.77 to me in CA. Even if shipping is free, Small Pet's is $29.99 for 10 lbs timothy hay. $2 and some change less for me. I'm just looking at hay because I have never smelled such fresh pellets and KMS is my 3rd try and we both love it! :)

millsma

Cavy Slave
@Laurie I can't wait to order more hay from you guys! :) Seriously, best hay we've tried.

Piggy Mum

Cavy Slave
Do you ship to Canada? I've been buying Oxbow hay for awhile now, but recently I've been pulling A LOT of weeds out of the hay. I've heard only good things about Small Pet Select hay, so I'm certainly hoping I'll be able to order it.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.