Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Diarrhea Guinea pig with awful diarrhea

pigmommy89

Cavy Slave
Last night when I fed the pigs, one of the girls didn't come out to eat. I found her under a hidey in a puddle of diarrhea. I have hand fed her critical care and cleaned her up, and no more diarrhea, but now she isn't pooping at all. I can't get her to the vet until tomorrow. Please advise if there's anything else I can do.

peachyteen

Cavy Slave
make sure she keeps eating, monitor her, make sure she's drinking (syringe water if needed) and don't give her any veg. I don't know that there's much you can do without a vet visit.

make sure you get in to an exotic vet asap.

Sent from my SM-G386T using Tapatalk

pigmommy89

Cavy Slave
Thanks @spy9doc. She won't eat or drink at all on her own, although she is willing to drink Pedialyte from the syringe. Their diet was the same yesterday as it usually is, so I have no idea of the cause. I did crush up an acidophilus caplet and mix it with the critical care. I'll try the poop slurry when I get home.

pigmommy89

Cavy Slave
Thanks guys for the support. She passed away about 30 minutes ago after another episode of diarrhea. Now I'm worried sick about her cagemates. I just pray it wasn't something contagious. She was 100% normal yesterday morning.

Fay

Cavy Slave
I'm so sorry for your loss. Sometimes they go so quick and there's nothing you could have done better. It sounds like you did all the right things. You could certainly take your other pigs in for a check up, it's always better to be safe than sorry but it could have just been an isolated case. I wouldn't worry too much unless you start to notice signs.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I'm very sorry for your loss.

lisa325

Cavy Slave
How tragic. So sorry for your loss.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.