Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Media Music For Pigs?

kathlaaron

Cavy Slave
In the rescue, during the day I play a local Jazz/talk station. Mainly because it's just too quiet in there and the pigs used to freak out when someone went in. This station has lots of talking and different types of jazz. I believe it's helped the pigs not to be so skittish.

I truly believe music helps them to become more relaxed and desensitized to various noises that normally would cause them to be "on alert" status.

Foggycreekcavy--did you see our "Sounds of Music" experiment that some of us members did together a few months ago ? ( Provided by the above links...) When you get a chance, will you please take a look and tell me what you thought of our experiment ?

Buggie_00

Cavy Slave
I've just started so no, I'm no good yet. My son took lessons for a little over a year and he was good. When he lost interest and we still had a cello I decided I'd take lessons. I love the piano guys Cello Wars thing on youtube. Cello sounds beautiful...hopefully I'll get there eventually.

grace&piggies

Cavy Slave
Winifred is a very musical girl. She'll wheek along with whatever song is on or lay down and purr really loud. She loves it.

BeNotNobody

Cavy Slave
Jackson and Pollock love music. They are especially fond of songs that feature whistling like this: Home They go nuts and wheek and whistle along. So cute!

Buggie_00

Cavy Slave
I'm going to have to try music with whistling in it. I loved reading through the experiment the forum members did a while back. I might have to try that myself.

grace&piggies

Cavy Slave
The Lion King is a favourite of Winnie's. As soon as it starts she sings and sings! My sister puts it on for her when she minds her for me.

Buggie_00

Cavy Slave
What a great thread this is! I'm getting lots of musical ideas. I wonder if our cats and the gerbil will play along too with music. I know one of our cats likes music. She's the same kitty who thinks out little black aby guinea pig is a kitten and gets mad at me when I put her in a cage.

foggycreekcavy

Cavy Gazer
Kath, I read it today! It's interesting to me how different pigs respond to different music. I mostly play the jazz station because of all the talk it has as well. You guys did a great job on that project!

englishdaffodil

Cavy Slave
I once had a guinea pig who adored Maureen McGovern. McGovern had a PBS special at the time that got re-aired a lot, and piggy would come out of her hidey-house and press her nose up against the glass of her aquarium (don't scold--this is back pre-internet when we didn't know any better about cages) and gaze LONGINGLY at the tv. As soon as McGovern stopped singing, piggy was disinterested. I've never seen an animal act that, before or since. It was hilarious--we got more entertainment out of watching piggy than watching the tv ourselves! :)

Beepstwice

Cavy Slave
I sing to my piggies, they seem to like it. i do it before i go to sleep, as they are in my bedroom. just make up little songs about them. sounds mad, but in my last apartment, when i played the piano, Piggle used to come running out of his house and sit in the middle of the room just listening :) so got the idea from that!

jacoby

Cavy Slave
My guys seem to enjoy music. We have a radio on most of the day. They seem to like country.

PigPandemonium

Cavy Slave
I think I'll try to do a test of my own with my two piggys, anyone think it's a good idea? If so I think I'll video tape them with no music, and then different types of music each day, then I'll watch the videos and see what I find :) Just post and tell me if you like the idea and I will get cracking on it xD

kathlaaron

Cavy Slave
I think I'll try to do a test of my own with my two piggys, anyone think it's a good idea? If so I think I'll video tape them with no music, and then different types of music each day, then I'll watch the videos and see what I find :) Just post and tell me if you like the idea and I will get cracking on it xD

I think it's a GREAT IDEA !:) You are more than welcome, to attach your video music experiment to our old thread if you would like to, ( to keep music experiments all in one place, especially for Teresa, owner of this site just let me know).

I really do wish I hadn't gone on and on:sad: about other things on that thread, towards the end !! If you are interested--I could ask Teresa if she could delete any and all topics unrelated to the experiment, to make more room for other peoples sounds experiments.

If you are interested in attaching your experiment to our "Sounds of Music" thread, just let me know, and I will ask T if she could do a little "clean up" before hand, to give the thread a sleeker, more professional look.

However, if you want to start your own thread, that is perfectly fine too ! I would REALLY be interested and encourage you to do this video music experiment, and I am sure others would be very interested in seeing it too ! They may even want to do it "with" you !:)

Last edited:
Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.