Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

General 3yr Old Pregnant Guinea Pig?!

PiggieAppeal

Cavy Gazer
Hi Everyone,

I'm not new to general guinea pig owning but I have zero experience in the pregnancy aspect. Here is a bit of backstory.

My herd consisted of 4 female guinea pigs in a 4x6 cage. I came into contact with a much older lady who told me she had 4 guinea pigs as well that she loved very very much, she then explained to me that she would do anything for her pigs and that her pigs relied on her completely but that she was no longer physically fit to take proper care of these pigs, she looked to be in her 60s. I told her I could take on one more pig but that i could not take on all 4.

this should have been the first red flag.

she refused to show me the pigs but she described each to me, this was also when she mentioned that she had 2 sows and 2 boars. I assumed she meant she had a cage with the girls and a separate cage with the boys. I was wrong.

She delivered the pig the following day, I have since named the pig Patsy. and Patsy was HUGE! She is a white and brown pig but where she should have been white she was actually more of a grey colour with dirt, she was covered in dirt, had an awful smell, is missing fur, and is pee stained. she didn't look like a pig who belonged to someone who loved her. This was Red flag number 2.

The lady then went on to talk about how my cage wouldn't be suited to her boars because of their constant fighting, she said one was covered in scabs and blood from being attacked. Again another bad sign.

I took the opportunity to ask about HER current enclosure for her pigs which was when i finally got the truth. She had been keeping 2 sows and two boars together, outside in an old barn, with no fresh veg, and puppy pads lining an old stall. And then she said to me "I had actually purchased the two males in hopes of getting some babies, so if shes pregnant that's your problem now" and she left without another word.

So now here I am with this amazingly sweet little pig who looks like she has been suffering for a long time and I have no idea what to do. Iv'e read what feels like hundreds of threads on pregnant guinea pigs but here are my questions that I haven't been able to find the answers to.

1. What is the likely hood that she even is pregnant, can a stressed guinea pig get pregnant?
2. What are the chances that the babies will be stillborn? between her age and the stress she has been under i don't have high hopes
3. Will giving birth to still born babies be dangerous for her?
4. She is fitting in wonderfully with the herd, but should she be removed and put on her own?
5. What should I be looking out for?
6. Is there a safe at home way to determine if she really is even pregnant?
7. Will is be safe to Bathe Patsy?

I know this is a long post but I didn't want anyone thinking that I was an irresponsible backyard breeder. I love my pigs and I want to help Patsy as much as I can.

PiggieAppeal

Cavy Gazer
IMG_6862.jpgIMG_6798.jpgIMG_6807.jpgSo I'm not sure if these will help but I've added three photos of patsy, two that hopefully will help in determining whether nor not she's pregnant, and the third one is just because she's too cute. And yes that is little Nanook fast asleep in the hammock behind her :)

Saylavi

Cavy Slave
She is adorable! And it's a bit early to tell via the pictures but you should be able to tell in 3 weeks or so. If she is preggo you will see her begin to look less like a potato and more like a goose neck squash. You may also be able to feel some movement when you hold her for lap time. If she is pregnant leave her with the other pigs as long as she's getting along with them, she is totally safe to bees as long as she is not too too pregnant. As long as she is willing to be held it's fine.

To tell you the truth I wouldn't really worry about whether or not the babies are still born, there is a decent chance of it but I would be more worried about whether or not she will survive giving birth if she is as old as you think she is. You might need to go to an exotic vet and have them give her a C-section. They will be able to do a x-ray to see if she's pregnant as well.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
1. What is the likely hood that she even is pregnant, can a stressed guinea pig get pregnant?

Yes, but she may not be. If she was with the male for several weeks/months and didn't get pregnant, she might not be now.

2. What are the chances that the babies will be stillborn? between her age and the stress she has been under i don't have high hopes

Not much. The bigger danger is that she won't be able to deliver at all because her pelvic ligaments don't stretch. If she has small pups, they may be fine. If she has one or more large ones, the likelihood of a successful delivery go way down. If she does turn out to be pregnant, you may want to get an x-ray close to delivery and see if the vet can tell how large the babies are apt to be.

3. Will giving birth to still born babies be dangerous for her?

Whether they've live or not has nothing to do with it. It's size.

4. She is fitting in wonderfully with the herd, but should she be removed and put on her own?

No, leave her where she is. Most sows make excellent aunties. Very occasionally you'll find one that's not, so keep a watchful eye out. But it works beautifully most of the time.

5. What should I be looking out for?
6. Is there a safe at home way to determine if she really is even pregnant?

Read that link @lissie gave you.

7. Will is be safe to Bathe Patsy?

Yes, go ahead.

PiggieAppeal

Cavy Gazer
Thank you all so much, I've book her in for an X-ray. I'll definitely update as her pregnancy progresses!

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Don't book her in yet. The bones don't mineralize until several weeks into the pregnancy, and they won't be able to tell how many pups until she's several weeks along. I'd wait until I heard the pups' teeth gnashing, and then get her in pretty quickly.

CavyTV

Cavy Slave
I hope she and the pups will be okay. She's so sweet and cute. Poor thing...I'm glad you were able to take her in. Hopefully, those other 3 will find nice homes as well. What a story..I wonder what that woman was thinking, treating her innocent guinea pigs like that.

Shieme

Cavy Slave
Patsy reminds me of my Muffin; attitude, appearance and love. Sounds like that woman is a monster and I know there is more to the story she's not telling you. "It's your problem" sounds like she lost some pigs and found out it was harder than she thought. I bet she was trying for a piggie mill. I'm so glad you got Patsy and the "herd" she's in love her. I see it. I hope she's not pregnant because of the age.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.