Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Showing Showing? Idk

• Thread starter GuineaPigQueen1
  • Start date

GuineaPigQueen1

Cavy Slave
So I know guinea pigs get very stressed when going to unfamiliar places, but what are us guinea pig lovers so against besides stress levels. I haven’t seen the environment of it yet so I really have no idea. * Note my guinea pigs have never been anywhere besides my home, outside once ( I was a stupid owner at the time the were living in the living world small this was when they were tiny babies and Sunny was alive.), the vet, and going to my aunts’s while I was gone and they had an amazing time.

TheGuineaPigGal

Cavy Slave
I show my guinea pigs too!

With a camera, too my friends!

GuineaPigQueen1

Cavy Slave
I show my guinea pigs too!

With a camera, too my friends!
I do that too but like the showing where you am prizes and stuff. But that is a clever way of thinking about showing I would love to see some pics of your piggies.

TheGuineaPigGal

Cavy Slave
Haha, I knew thats what you were talking about, just trying to crack a joke!

Soecara

Cavy Slave
Its not so much the stress of the unfamiliar place that is the primary stress we are concerned about. It is also the crowd, the sound, the handling by strangers (judges), and the length of time they are there that are among the worse of the stressors.

Also there are the very small but not zero risks of diseases spreading amongst the guinea pigs (even if they are not on the same table there are air borne diseases, once again small risk due to most people not showing obviously sick animals but the risk is not zero). The other very small but not zero risk is of theft, it is incredibly uncommon but guinea pigs have been stolen at shows before, often they are taken carry case and all off the tables in a brief period of inattention or while the owner is away from the table (such as going to the bathroom).

GuineaPigQueen1

Cavy Slave
Its not so much the stress of the unfamiliar place that is the primary stress we are concerned about. It is also the crowd, the sound, the handling by strangers (judges), and the length of time they are there that are among the worse of the stressors.

Also there are the very small but not zero risks of diseases spreading amongst the guinea pigs (even if they are not on the same table there are air borne diseases, once again small risk due to most people not showing obviously sick animals but the risk is not zero). The other very small but not zero risk is of theft, it is incredibly uncommon but guinea pigs have been stolen at shows before, often they are taken carry case and all off the tables in a brief period of inattention or while the owner is away from the table (such as going to the bathroom).
Thank you very much for the info. I will inform people if they ask about showing.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.