Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Special Needs Guinea Pig Needs A Second Chance, Manhattan, Kansas

Wildcavy

Cavy Gazer
Don't forget the ripples too -- you made a difference to Grace certainly. But you also made a difference to my family. You have given a good antidote to the cynicism of your colleagues, too -- understandable cynicism, I'm not criticizing, but on some level they have renewed hope. There are several of our friends who realize that guinea pigs must be special if all of this is being done for "just" one little pig. And the joy of this will keep going forward!

Your act of kindness was enough even if it were only for Grace. But it's gone far beyond that. These are treasures I store up for myself when the days are gray, and they never fade.

jacqueline

Cavy Slave
there are days when the world seems like a dark and scary place. and there are times when things can get heated and unpleasant here on this site. THIS STORY is one of the great ones. it'd be nice to keep this thread forever, so we can remember and so others can see how so many different people come together to help one little pig. this has touched my heart - it makes my eyes well with joy. i was honored to be a small part of this, at least in the beginning. grace has already lived up to her name and "graced" a lot of people. . .

Xopher

Cavy Slave
@Wildcavy and I are so excited for Grace to join our family. We know that not only will we make a difference in her life, but that she will make such a difference in ours :)

Petlovr

Cavy Slave
It kind of reminds me why I signed up for this career in the first place; a little refresher is nice once in a while. I thank everyone on here for giving me that!

Please never forget-you can't change the world, but if you can make your corner of it a little better, go for it. Every life you touch has an effect. Kindness shown is never wasted. One little pig, all of 2 pounds, has made a huge difference to so many people. Not just because she is "special needs", but because of the joy we have found here on this thread, the many smiles she will bring to everyone on her journey to her new home, and the smiles she will bring to her new family when she arrives. I have to believe she is heaven sent for all the good she has done already. And most important, she is happy herself.

Everyone's comments on the impact of Grace to our lives makes me tear up. She is truly a "grace". A reminder of why we work so hard to save every life we come across in rescue. Although, I am still anxious to have the 2 Pit bulls go to rescue ASAP! LOL

Critterluvva-I love the starfish story. I kinda live my life by it.

I'm also wondering-on a lighter note-if this is possibly the longest adoption thread in existence? :D

CritterLuvva

Cavy Slave
@Petlovr Eloquently spoken! Bravo. :)

What's the status of those pitt bulls?

LOL at last statement.

Petlovr

Cavy Slave
What's the status of those pitt bulls?
OMG! 3 days of rain had them pinging off the walls. :eek: Thank God the sun is out, and they can run in the yard. 3 dogs is really hard to handle, esp when 2 are prey-driven Pitts with no training what so ever, and I don't even know what their names had been to get their attention. I'm just waing, not so patiently, for a local rescue to get 2 dog cages open to take them. Ripping my hair out, meanwhile! :melodrama

LOL at last statement.
Seriously! I don't think adoption threads usually go this long!lol

Hhbean

Cavy Slave
We are planning on picking up Grace on Wednesday in Kansas City, Mo! I'm so excited to meet her! When we first read about Grace, Daniel instantly became protective about her and wanted to find some way for her to come live with us(and our other 6 piggies). For those who don't know, Daniel is legally blind and for him Graces plight became very personal. Daniel is always the voice of reason but not when it came to Grace:love:. He was worried about where she would end up and if the people would be able to give her the love and care she needs. I reassured him that the people offering to take her in were just as nuts about spoiling piggies as we are.
I'm going to make a sign that says "D.C. or bust!" for Grace's cage and will be sure to post pigtures of her leg of the trip with us. Thank you @Wildcavy and @jacqueline for throwing your hats into the ring to give Grace a home. I'm sure she will be as happy with @Wildcavy as she would have been with you @jacqueline.

Xopher

Cavy Slave
Can't wait to hear how Grace is doing after the first part of her journey. : )

Petlovr

Cavy Slave
Yes! Any pics?

arionat799

Cavy Slave
Wait, I'm confused. @Xopher, you live with @Wildcavy? lol but congrats to you and thanks for taking this sweet pig in! :)

Crusty

Cavy Slave
This has to be the most heartwarming thread I've ever seen. One beautiful little piggy has made such a difference to so many people. I'm not going into details but my job has hardened me. For the most part I see the worst in life. This makes me realize there are still very good people out there.

Xopher

Cavy Slave
yup, @Wildcavy is my hunny :) We have both been cast under Grace's spell.

Wildcavy

Cavy Gazer
@Xopher 's avatar is Picckalo, who is Grace's future boyfriend! Picckalo is the one who they said was unadoptable. Looks like they were wrong!:)

Petlovr

Cavy Slave
Picckalo is the one who they said was unadoptable.
I missed this. Why was he "unadoptable"?

Hhbean

Cavy Slave
Well all, Grace appears to be a seasoned traveler! She is now in St. Louis, Mo and settling in for the night. I will post pictures tomorrow for all to admire! Thank you so much @Els9547 for saving her life. She is a truely beautiful piggy and she ventured out several times during the car ride to check things out. We had a problem at the begining of our ride, the air-conditioner was not functioning as it should(blowing hot air). Thank goodness I was able to get some great advice from @cavymama and was able to find a battery operated fan and I made a small ice pack just in case. About 20 min. into our hot trip, I was so frustrated I said out loud "Come on angels, I can make it without air but Grace really needs it, hasn't she been through enough?" I tried the air one last time and wouldn't you know the dang thing blew cold air the rest of the way across Missouri!!!

Grace also accompanied me to the ladies room at the rest stop because there was no way I was leaving her in a locked car. Picture me carrying a pet store cage to the ladies room:D as if this is something that I do everyday. We received some odd looks but they also had a smile on their face.

Grace has stolen my heart and I even had the odd thought or two about saying she had been pignapped just so she could stay with us. Alas, it is not within me to deprive Picckalo and Grace true love. @Wildcavy and @Xopher she will be spoiled rotten by the time she gets to you!

Xopher

Cavy Slave
What an amazing story, and what a wonderful blessing! Thank you so much for helping her on the first leg of her journey. I have to confess, it's been a rough evening, they've forced me to stay late and i've no idea when i can leave (already over three hours) but my mood completely changed once I read this :)

Xopher

Cavy Slave
Check out @Wildcavy 's blogs. She's got a few about the process of us adopting Picckalo.

Wildcavy

Cavy Gazer
I missed this. Why was he "unadoptable"?

He is blind, had been abused and starved, his hair was gray with malnutrition -- we didn't know he was really a brindle for the longest time -- he is partially paralyzed, and he appeared to be mute. Turns out he is also hearing impaired and has arthritis. Many of his issues were either caused by or exacerbated by the neglect/abuse. He was kept in a wire cage by the dogs and birds in the pound and was on death row. He's a robust boar with a LOUD whistle now, shiny, full of his boar-ness, and very happy.

@Xopher is currently Picckalo's pig-analog, but we figure Picckalo might like a pig buddy, so they can both gang up on Xopher during lap time.

He has some vision in his right eye now, which works really great because Grace's good eye is her left one, so we figure they can snuggle next to each other and look at each other out of their good eyes!:)

Petlovr

Cavy Slave
He is blind, had been abused and starved, his hair was gray with malnutrition
I'm so glad he's doing better. Bless you for saving him. Sometimes I think they really appreciate the second chance, and I always fall for the "story" behind an animal, more than what they look like, or their personality. I love taking a neglected animal and spoiling them rotten to make up for the hard times they've had.

CritterLuvva

Cavy Slave
I love taking a neglected animal and spoiling them rotten to make up for the hard times they've had.

I can appreciate that! If things fall into place the way I would like, I'll continue to foster even after I own piggies of my own (I have two fosters now). I'm looking forward to lavishing love on them as well! :D

Speaking of my fosters, though, I'd like to go to the store asap and get some things. This foster kind of fell into place much more quickly then hubby and I would have ever dreamed due to a recent, unfortunate incident. (So, good came from bad. :)) I might be forced to go to a pet store for some of what I want, but I really want to try not to go if I can. But I'm derailing. Sorry!

Glad to hear this baby is making it safely home so far. Who's got her now? Please post pigtures and how your trip went! When is piggy supposed to be home? Tomorrow?

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.