Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Stands The difference a table makes

Princess_Piggie

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
So my girls have been in their C&C, which is on a table for 6 days now, and the difference I'm experiencing in their behaviour is amazing!

Minnie, who has never had any qualms with getting up on her back legs and begging for food, is doing so even more often, and frequently does it when she knows it isn't "feeding time" just to get some head strokes off me. So no major change from her, other than she seems to feel more confident about getting my attention.

Daisy, on the other hand, who's a real cuddler once she's out of the cage, is just going from strength to strength! She doesn't go flying the second she see's me moving, she's getting much more vocal, and every once in a while, she comes to the cage bars with Minnie to get veggies off me, instead of me just leaving her portion outside whatever hidey she's in for her to sneak out and grab lol

I'm just so blown away by how much confidence being closer to my height is giving my girls, it feels like I'm bonding with both of them even more already!

stray hares

Cavy Slave
I also prefer to have my pig pens raised off the floor. You're less of a looming, scary, giant thing and they really seem to respond to that.

daisy1cow

Cavy Slave
Mine too Princess!! So my boys wouldn't escape and get to the girls, I put them up on a banquet table in the dining room which is all part of the kitchen. My girls were skiddish before being on the floor, now they are out so much, looking at me while im in the kitchen cooking hoping it is something yummy like a piece of lettuce they might get. They are way more vocal also. They will sit in their kitchen and and let me put the breakfast bowl of veggies in there between them. Before they would run into their pigloos and come out after I had left!
Its awesome!

Jennifer Potash

Cavy Slave
Do you mind showing me a picture of the stand and cage? And where did you buy it? Thank you

Rywen

Cavy Slave
@Princess_Piggie That is excellent to hear! Ferb and Penny have always been up on a table so they wheek and beg at me anytime I stand up from the sofa or come near the cage. Their ability to persist with the wheeking he entire time I'm in the kitchen is astounding.

Princess_Piggie

Cavy Slave
@daisy1cow it felt astounding to wander over to the cage and have them just stay there and be happily petted! I may have taken a step back with my Daisy today though, I went in to hoover the cage, and she ran out of her hidey and in to the hoover nozzle. I was absolutely mortified, but thankfully she's okay and copious amounts of veggies followed!
@stray hares I know right! Even I felt big and scary when I came at them when their cage was on the floor, having them on a table has us on the same level, literally and figuratively lol
@Jennifer Potash I'll take a quick pic in a sec. The table's from Ikea (about £35-£40), the grids are from Amazon, and I can't quite remember where I got my coroplast at the minute sorry. I think it was from somewhere with Aluminum in the name though...
@Rywen My girls used to go mad wheeking when they could hear me coming up the stairs (they even knew when it wasn't my footsteps!), but thankfully now I'm in an apartment there's no stairs for them to go nuts over. I think they've gotten lazy because they only wheek when I'm in the room now lol

Princess_Piggie

Cavy Slave
DSCF4941.jpgDSCF4940.jpg

Princess_Piggie

Cavy Slave
Linnmon/Adils. They're sold as a separate top (Linnmon) and legs (Adils) so you can mix and match with what colour/wood effect etc you want.

Rywen

Cavy Slave
Omg, you hoovered your piggie. I'm glad she's okay!

guineapigcraz27

Cavy Slave
I mainly use a table so that my dog can't get to my pig but I have also seen a major change in behavior when I put the cage on the table.

Princess_Piggie

Cavy Slave
Omg, you hoovered your piggie. I'm glad she's okay!

I couldn't believe it either! It's the fact that she ran out of one hiding spot, to go past the hoover, to get to another. You'd think if she was scared, she'd just stay hidden! Lesson learned: Take pigs out before hoovering!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.